Chapter 10

Sitting in front of a console, Optimus stared at the screen with deep concentration. It had been two days since they were able to wake Azura from her dream, and she was very happy to be out of it, but Optimus's concern about the context of the dream weighed heavily on his mind. He was still concerned that it wasn't a test, given that the knights and the tree were visual metaphors of something now woven into Azura's genetic structure. It worried him deeply that more pain would find its way to the sparkling, and he did not wish for that.

He was currently studying the recording of the dream itself, going through with utmost importance and caution to ensure that he did not miss anything that might have been present and they just couldn't see. Nothing has caught his optics just yet, but he wanted to figure out what the dream meant. Preferably before she emerges from within him, though he couldn't force an answer. This took time. Using the skills he possessed from being a clerk long ago, this was just another form of material to unravel.

Azura was currently recharging, as Optimus encouraged due to the sparkling being fearful of recharging. It has made her restless, and with her constant shifting within him, Optimus has found another form of discomfort. While he wasn't angry at Azura, he also didn't want her to fear recharge. She needed it as much as any Cybertronian. Optimus knew if she remained fearful of recharge, she was going to be difficult to put to berth when she emerges. Azura didn't want to be difficult, but it was something she might do unintentionally, due to her fear.

He hummed softly as he remained focused, and he heard the familiar footsteps of his medic approaching him. He said nothing as Optimus did not look away from the screen while he sensed Ratchet's gaze. "I see you are still looking through the recording of Azura's dream like it is a coded file that needs translating."

"It is something I feel that I must do at this time, Ratchet. This dream Azura had has disturbed me deeply, and I fear greatly for her. To me, this recording of the dream seems like a cryptic file for me to translate." He turned his head as he heard Ratchet sigh a little. "I know you think it is not likely to yield answers, Ratchet. But I used to do a lot of this kind of study back in the Hall of Records. This will take time."

"So I should expect you to be here every day until your body signals you it is time to birth?" Ratchet questioned with a slightly amused expression, while Optimus rolled his optics a little and looked back at the screen. "I understand your concern, Optimus. I do. And we are practically now ready and waiting for Azura to be reborn, but I do think that you shouldn't stress over this. For all we know..."

"I am not about to overlook anything, Ratchet. Azura has never been ordinary, and it is my duty as her carrier to do what I can to try and protect her from things that might happen." Optimus leaned back and placed his hand on his abdomen as his expression softened. "When we were forced to send Azura away all those years ago, I never once thought she would have such abilities...I never knew that the past would come back in this way. And yet, I still loved her..."

"I know." Ratchet stepped closer and placed his hand on Optimus's shoulder. "And your intuition was correct when it came to her weeklong recharge. I do not want to discourage you from this, Optimus. But I do think that you shouldn't allow your mind to be consumed by that concern." Optimus did not disagree, but he also wanted to spend a lot of his time focused on studying this dream. "I know it might be difficult, given what has happened recently, but you should focus on relaxing as much as you can, Optimus. We only have at least four to six more weeks now, and I know you have enjoyed carrying Azura. And I think you should focus on enjoying it rather than focusing on this. It will make it less enjoyable."

"I suppose you are right..."

"RATCHET!" Both Optimus and Ratchet flinch in surprise as they hear Bulkhead's panicked voice shout through the com link. Arcee, who just walked into the lobby with an energon cube, jumped as well. "Open the bridge! Hurry!"