Chapter 2

Optimus groaned as he sat down on the firm med berth in the med bay. He has found that sitting and getting up from berths was not the easiest task anymore, and while he was comfortable while laying down on them, he still disliked the effort of getting up. He lifted his legs cautiously as he moved them to lay on the berth before laying back against the backrest, and sighed deeply and rubbing his abdomen gently as he took deep intakes. He had drunk four cubes of energon before, and he was feeling very satisfied now. Now he had to endure the check up that Ratchet has been giving him and Azura once a week to keep an eye on things. Optimus did not mind, but he disliked that attachments Ratchet would place on his abdomen. These would allow Ratchet to scan Azura's system, see what systems have been formed and so on, and it also allowed Optimus to see his daughter nestled within him.

Ratchet approached the side of the berth with the various equipment and prepared them for use. He glanced at Optimus when he heard a low grumble from him. "I assume there is something on your mind, Optimus." The mech shook his head and kept his hands on his abdomen. "You just seem to be bothered by something."

"Are all those lines really necessary?" Optimus questioned, gesturing to the equipment, making Ratchet look at him in surprise. But the mech was able to work out what was bothering his leader. "You attach so many leads to my stomach, and you know that the surface is sensitive. Is it really necessary?"

Ratchet folded his arms as he gave Optimus an amused expression. "I am afraid this must happen, Optimus. I need to monitor the progress of Azura's system and condition, so that I may give accurate information to you, Optimus." Optimus did not respond, but Ratchet knew he was unhappy. "I do understand that you are experiencing discomfort from carrying Azura, Optimus. And the sensitivity that you feel on the surface of your abdomen is normal. It is why any mech or femme heavy with sparkling will punch other Cybertronians if they happen to touch, unless it is their sparkmate." Optimus has witnessed that himself, and it certainly is amusing to see. Though Optimus is unlikely to hit anyone for it. "Though you do not have the benefit of a sparkmate, so you will have to endure it for a couple more months. This first month has already gone by quite quickly."

"Azura feels like it has been longer than that." He grimaced lightly as she gave a light kick, making him hum in amusement as her displeasure of him telling Ratchet her thoughts and feelings on the matter. "It is only fair I mention it, Azura. You will be fine."

Ratchet turned to the equipment while he still had a smile on his face to proceed getting them ready. "That does not surprise me. Azura is still fully aware of her surroundings, and she clearly communicates well with you. It is natural that she is bored in there. But I most certainly will not agree to any early birth, even if that means she is no longer bored." Once the equipment was ready, he grabbed the lines and turned to Optimus. "Her health is a priority over her boredom."

Optimus moved his hands to allow Ratchet to connect the lines to his abdomen. He grimaced as the lines attach to the surface of his abdomen with ease, and he heard the familiar sounds of beeps coming from the machines. "Yeah, she knows that. And I know that as well. But I can't blame her. I have encouraged her to daydream though. That's really one of the only things she can do."

"And eavesdrop on conversations." Ratchet grabbed another set of lines to attach to Optimus's abdomen. "But she is lucky this is only a short procedure. Eight weeks can go by rather quickly. Even if there is zero decepticon activity. But I think that there will be some activity soon."

Optimus nodded in agreement. He was grimacing as the lines were attached to him, feeling the uncomfortable feeling as they remain on the surface. He did wonder how many more systems she would need before it was safe for her to leave. He knew that Ratchet has assured him that his body would go into labor when the time was right, though Optimus was not looking forward to that, even though the birth will not be a natural birth. Especially given he had no birth canal, so he would have to open his chassis for that.