Chapter Tweleve: Visit from Ava Paige

~Minho's P.O.V.~

Today was the day of the Victory Tour, last year I'd competed in the Hunger Games. I thought I was going to die but...I didn't. I was now living in Victors Village in District 12, with riches beyond my wildest dreams. Getting here was not easy and the games themselves caused both me and Sarah a lot of mental scars. Everyday Chuck's face haunts my nightmares, Aris, from district one, I've watched him die more times than I like.

The memories I could handle. But the pressure to keep up with love act with Sarah was exhausting, it kept the nightmares away most nights.

I was the one who had to wake up Jorge, our old mentor, and almost got stabbed, he was a paranoid drunk with the same mental scars from the Games. He won 25 years ago. Jorge never spoke about his games, nor did we ask.

When I arrived home, President Paige was there, waiting for me. Our esteemed president of Panem in District 12, visiting a victor. What a surprise.

She was in my study. Drinking my tea. Watching the clip from when me and Sarah won the games. "Such bravery. Such spirit. Such...contempt"

"President Paige. What an honor." I said with little feeling.

"My dear, I think we can make this so much simpler if we agree not to lie to each other. what do you think?"

"Yes, I think that would save time."

"Sit down, please." I did as she asked, I rarely did anything people told me too. But with President Paige it was safer to listen. "I have a problem, Mr. Lee. A problem that began the moment you revealed those poison berries in the arena. If that Head Gamemaker, Seneca Crane, had any brains at all, he would have blown you to bits then and there. But here you are. I expect you can guess where he is."

"Yes, I think so."

"After that fiasco, there was nothing left to do but to let you play out your little scenario. And you were very good. That whole love-crazed, besotted schoolboy routine. Impressive. Truly. You convinced everyone in the Capitol. Unfortunately, not everyone in the districts fell for it. I mean, you can't know this, but in several of them, people viewed your little trick with the berries as an act of defiance. Not as an act of love. And if a boy from District 12 of all places can defy the Capitol and walk away unharmed, what is to prevent them from doing the same? What is to prevent, say, an uprising? That can lead to revolution. And then, in a fraction of time, the whole system collapses."

"It must be a fragile system, if it can be brought down by just a few berries." I said defiantly.

She could sense I did not care. I couldn't find any reason too. "Yes, it is, indeed. But not in the way you imagine it."

"How should I imagine it?"

"You should imagine thousands upon thousands of your people dead. This town of your reduced to ashes. Imagine it gone. Made radioactive. Buried under dirt as if it had never existed, like District 13. You fought very hard in The Games, Mr. Lee. But they were games. Would you like to be in a real war?"

"No."

"Good. Neither would I." President Paige was eating the pastries Sarah had made for me. I don't why she did. "Did you make these?"

"Sarah."

She faked smiled. "She's a lovely girl. Tell me. At what point did she realize the depth of your indifference towards her?"

Indifferent? Where on earth did, she get that? "I'm not indifferent."

"Don't lie! You promised."

"Why don't you just kill me now? It'll save us a lot of trouble." Not like anyone would miss me if I did die.

"I don't want to kill you." LIAR. "I want us to be friends. But if not friends, then allies."

"What do I need to do?"

"When you and Sarah on tour, you need to smile. You need to be grateful. but, above all, you need to be madly prepared-to-end-it-all in love. You think you can manage that?"

"Yes."

"Yes, what?"

"I'll convinced them."

"No, convince me."

That was my last and final warning. I'd screwed up and this was the punishment for my actions against the Capitol. Jorge was right about this; they don't take these things lightly. Why would they? But I wasn't worried about Paige killing me. I was more worried about Sarah and her family, what would she plan do to them?