Chapter Thirteen: The Victory Tour

~Sarah's P.O.V.~

Effie, and my stylist team came to my house to get me ready for the cameras. Harriet too. It was good to see everyone again. They filled me in on everything and I guess Harriet was really famous in the capitol and everyone was wearing her now. Harriet said not everyone, referring to Effie. We all hugged and exchanged pleasantries. Just hopping they don't realize I'm hung over.

I got changed and Effie, the others all did my makeup to get me camera ready. I hated all the cameras and getting dolled up. My mother gave me something for my hangover. Effie told me I was excited and in love, big smiles for the camera. I wanted to strangle myself.

"There she is! Sarah Jackson, the girl on fire!"

"And there he is, Minho Lee, the boy on fire!"

The two of us walked up to each other, somehow, we both fell, me landing on top of him. This was a good opportunity for this. I kissed him, the camera trained on us.

Caesar interrupted me, so very rudely. "Anyone at home? Should we come back later?"

We both snapped out of it, standing up. "Sorry, Caesar."

"Please. It's all right. It's your day." Then he asked. "How's it going?"

"We're good." Minho said blankly.

"That's it? That's all we get. "We're good?" So taciturn all of a sudden. Minho, give me some details!" Caesar was still as noisy as ever.

"Yeah, things are great here in 12." I could tell he had no idea what the hell he was doing.

I smiled, smiled through the pain. "Thanks to the generosity of The Capitol, we've never been closer."

"Twenty-five yards, to be exact." I faked laughed at that.

"Fantastic! We'll be checking in with the both of you throughout the Victory Tour. Thank you so much, Sarah Jackson and Minho Lee!"

"Wonderful!" Effie cheered. "Everybody in motion we are out of here in ten."

"That was nice acting."

"You, too."

"Almost thought that kiss was real." I walked away before Minho could say anything.

~*~

The train to District 11. That was where we were going first. Effie talked and talked but I didn't listen. Still had a headache from my hangover. Drinking had become a new normal for me, Jorge didn't stop me. He knew better. It was just going to be a bunch of fake smiles, cameras, speeches, 12 districts. The whole works. I'd seen Victory Tours in the past and never wanted to go on one. To speak to the people whose children you killed...the thought made me sick. Minho had killed the careers. The faces of those that died haunted me at night, I watched them die over and over, a never-ending cycle.

"What did you say?" Minho asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I said enjoy it, Minho, you've earned it."

"By killing people."

"Young man..."

He walked away without another word. I soon followed him.

"I'm really not in the mood for a lecture. I'll apologize to Effie later." He said coldly then looked to see who it was. "Thought you were Jorge."

I sat down in front of him. "You don't have to apologize to anyone. Including me. I know it's not fair of me to hold you to things you said in The Games. You saved us. I know that. But I can't go on acting for the cameras, and then just ignoring each other in real life. So, if you can stop looking at me like I'm wounded, then I can quit acting like it. And then maybe we have a shot at being friends."