You've Decorated My Life

The next morning, the sun rose over the cabin, casting a warm, golden glow that promised a new beginning. Cooper and Babydoll woke with a renewed sense of purpose, knowing that their family's safety depended on teaching their young son how to survive in a harsh world.

Cooper Jr., now 20 months old, was a curious and bright little boy. His parents had been preparing him for the dangers of the wasteland, but today, they decided to run a drill to ensure he knew exactly what to do if trouble ever came their way.

"Alright, little man," Cooper said, kneeling down to Coop Jr.'s level. "Today, we're gonna play a special game.

It's called hide-and-seek, but it's very important. When Mama or Daddy say 'hide,' you need to go to your special hiding spot under the floorboards. Can you do that for us?"

Coop Jr. looked up at his father with wide, serious eyes and nodded. "Hide," he repeated, his little voice full of determination.

Babydoll smiled warmly, ruffling his hair. "That's right, sweetheart. We're going to practice it a few times, okay? Let's show you where to hide."

Cooper moved to a section of the cabin's floor that had a cleverly concealed trapdoor. He lifted it, revealing a small, well-hidden space beneath the floorboards. It was just big enough for Coop Jr. to fit in comfortably, with enough room for a few essential supplies.

"See, son?" Cooper said, pointing to the hiding spot. "This is where you go when we say 'hide.' It's safe here, and you stay quiet until Mama or Daddy comes to get you."

Coop Jr. peered into the space, his eyes wide with curiosity. He nodded again, absorbing every word his father said.

"Alright, let's try it," Babydoll said, taking Coop Jr.'s hand. "Remember, when we say 'hide,' you come here and get inside, okay?"

They started the drill, positioning themselves in different parts of the cabin. Cooper and Babydoll exchanged a serious glance, then Cooper called out, "Hide, Coop Jr.!"

Immediately, the little boy ran to the trapdoor, his small hands struggling for a moment to lift it. Babydoll was there, guiding him gently but firmly. "That's it, baby. You're doin' great."

Coop Jr. climbed into the space, and Babydoll closed the trapdoor, ensuring it was secure but not too heavy for him to open from the inside.

Cooper listened intently, making sure Coop Jr. was quiet and hidden.

After a few moments, he lifted the trapdoor and peeked inside. "Good job, son! You did it perfectly."

Babydoll smiled, lifting Coop Jr. out and hugging him tightly. "You're such a brave boy. We're so proud of you."

Cooper set the trapdoor back in place and looked at Babydoll. "We've got to be ready for anything. We can't let our guard down."

Babydoll nodded, her expression serious. "I know. And I'm glad Coop Jr. is learnin'. It's just... sometimes, I get so scared."

Cooper took her hand, his grip reassuring. "What's got you spooked, Babydoll? I mean, other than 100,000 reward on our heads."

She took a deep breath, looking into his eyes. "My biggest fear, Coop... it's going back to Vault-Tec. Bein' frozen in one of their cryogenic chambers."

Cooper's face darkened, his jaw clenching. "Cryogenic chambers? I've heard rumors about Vault-Tec's experiments.

Several of the vaults have been taken over by what I can only describe as mutants. Human experiments. I didn't realize they did that you girls. I really hate hearin' that."

Babydoll nodded, her eyes filled with haunted memories. "That's where I was headed after I gave birth to Coop Jr. That's why I escaped. They say it's like suspended animation where you don't even know you're asleep, but it's horrible.