Forget Me Not

The girl walked down the street with slow, short strides. Her backpack was hanging from her shoulder while her hands carried a bouquet of her favourite flowers. Beside her was one of her best friends, Yoomin. Both of their faces were dull but their eyes carried a load of emotion. Anyone passing by could sense how much of a gloomy mood they were in.

As they approached their destination, both of their feet halted. Yoomin grabbed her hand which wasn't holding on to the bouquet and led the way inside. The atmosphere was calm. There wasn't any noise nor disturbance. No life was present inside but there were many memories. Yoomin took a few turns, still holding onto Jungsoo, whom were now numb and eyes glistening.

As they finally found their childhood best friend, they both stopped. Cha Eunmi, the stone carvings read. Jungsoo let go of Yoomin's hand and knelt in front of the little grave her long gone sister was buried in. She placed the bouquet of forget me nots on the grave before placing her hands on her lap and closing her eyes.

Memories were coming back. One by one. Like they always did. It was hitting her straight in the head. She took a deep weary breath and let it out. It was making her nostalgic and nauseous. She had been everywhere. Eun Mi was a part of her life. She was a part of her past that she wouldn't let go of. Her first day at nursery, her first day at elementary, her parents' funeral, her first day at middle school, her first detention, her first little crush; She was always there, her first best friend.

She had promised to herself that she wouldn't cry again in front of her. Eun Mi became sad too, then. Jungsoo knew. she had told her. But she just couldn't help it. It was Eun Mi's birthday today. For eight years, they had celebrated their birthdays together. But no one knew it'll be just that. No one thought a little girl at twelve would lose her life like that. And no one seem to know the real reason of it either.

Yoomin knelt beside the girl as he saw her shoulders shaking. He kneeled down beside her and wrapped one of his arms around her shoulders. But the girl pulled away. A frown made its way up to his face as the girl kept pushing him away, crying her heart out. Her hands gripping the ground while heart-wrenching sobs filled the air around them. Yoomin brought his hand up to caress her back but his actions halted when she heard her whispers.

"P-please don't" Was all she said. but there were way more things that it meant. Way more things that Yoomin wasn't able to understand.

But granting her wishes, Yoomin stepped back and stared at the gravestone in front of him. The day of the death was around five years ago. Five years ago, a little twelve year old girl lost her life. and another little girl lost her best friend whom she treated as her own twin sister. Yoomin was there for just four years. And he admitted that he could never understand their special bond. But boy, seeing the way she was crying made him want to take away all her pain or know what exactly she was feeling so that he could at least feel her pain. It was that heart-breaking.

Her body was supported by her arms on the dirty ground and loud sobs would frequently jerk her slender figure like breaking waves. Her heart-piercing cries echoed in the quiet atmosphere. She looked like it was the first time she ever got to know about Eun Mi's death.

Yoomin listened closely as her little whispers left along with her sobs and tears. The sight was miserable but the words... she was asking for forgiveness. Asking Eun Mi to forgive her for something which the guy couldn't grasp. Yoomin thought that it might've been a silly fight or maybe it was because that she couldn't make it to her funeral. And come to think of it, Yoomin didn't know the reason to that either. Jungsoo had always slipped away when the topic came into conversation- even from day one.

Jungsoo, after a few minutes, sat properly on the ground with her legs folded neatly. Tears were still flowing rivers down her cheeks but she was no longer sobbing. A little lilac 'forget me not' was in her hands and she inspected it. Yoomin stood silently beside her. As she stared more at the flower, a small sad smile crept up to her lips.