Anonymous boyfriend

3.

Read me a story before you go.
I want to remember you by.

Tell me all the pretty lies
and never make me cry
because even when you do,
you know I forgive you.

All I want is to remember you.

I woke up sitting on the couch covered by a blanket and cold sweat. I got up and took a long shower. After my shower, I realized my phone was dead. I quickly went to charge it. I looked at the time it was 1 am.

I lied down on my bed and remembered my nightmare. It felt too real, and the pit in my stomach was telling me so. I had such a terrible feeling that something did happen. I wanted to forget it. I wished I was wrong. I turned my phone back on and saw there were no new texts or calls from Ethan. My hand lingered on my phone, wondering if I should call. I didn't. I just stared down at the last message he had sent.

Wensday, 10 June

I love you.
04:19

The last message felt out of place, almost ominous. He had sent me numerous messages stating that I needed to answer him, that he was worried about me. But then the texts got progressively more about how he had done something. I had ignored him for long enough. I needed to snap back to reality. I called him back.

"Hey, it's Ethan. -I'm not picking up the phone right now either because I'm busy -" I got false hope for the first few seconds, thinking he had answered. But it had only gone straight to voice-mail. It was around midnight, so I assumed he was asleep, deep sleep already. I knew I couldn't bear the heavy feeling of thinking he was gone, so I decided instead to go over to his house and check on him.

I got to his front door and knocked three times. No one came to the door, so I used his spare key that he hid under a rock in the planter by the door to get in. I slowly walked to his bedroom door and peeked in. I whispered his name into the dark, hoping to find a sign of life. I got no answer, but I heard the rustling in his bed as he moved around. I tip toed through the darkness and crawled into bed with him. I snuggled beside him, relieved to find him well. "I had a terrible nightmare. It felt so real... I thought you were dead." I said as I felt his arm come around me. He chuckled with a low tone, ready to go right back to sleep.

I couldn't sleep, however. He never told me what he had to say that he had texted so urgently before. "What was it you wanted to tell me? -I'm sorry for ignoring you and all that. There's just been a lot on my mind. I didn't mean to... " I said quietly. He shushed me and pulled me closer to him. There was complete silence in the house. Only my breath ecoed the room. "Ethan?" I mumbled. I reached my hand for the lamp on the nightstand. I hesitated, not wanting to find out what it was that layed beside me with its arm wrapped around me. I moved my hand back and felt the skin on his arm was ice-cold. I had shivers through my body. I felt frozen and stiff. It was clear to me it wasn't Ethan. It must be another hallucination I thought to myself to try to get the courage to turn the lamp light on. It's all in your head. He'll dissappear as soon as I turn the light on.

I heard a phone buzz on the floor beside the bed. My heart beat faster with every passing second the phone buzzed as he ignored the call. I knew he knew that I knew. I slowly reached my hand back to the lamp, trembling. "You might not want to do that, Evelyn." I heard him say. An unfamiliar voice. A man I did not know. I had reached for the lamp and finally turned it on. My heart stopped, and I slowly glanced back at the man beside me. I couldn't see anyone there. The phone on the floor had stopped buzzing, and I looked down to find it was Ethans phone. I thought I was alone. I noticed a hand peek from under the bed. I rolled back onto the bed as tears formed in my eyes.

A river ran down my face as I called the police trying to explain to them that I suspected he was dead as my voice trembled in fear for the worst. I didn't want to look. I knew he was gone. I knew it was over, but that meant it was also just the beginning of something else.

Ethan was found under the bed by the paramedics. He was barely alive when the first police officers arrived. I thought he was gone. If he had been found a moment later, he would have been pronounced dead at the scene. They took him to the hospital where he was in a coma. There was a high possibility that he would ever wake up again if there was any real chance. The odds were all against him. I believed he could fight, I wanted him to power through. It's what I thought he would want.