Lunar eclipse

7.

I give my last fragment to you, hoping that it fits your puzzle only to find there was nothing to complete because you were never putting any pieces together.

You had a clean slate and empty virtue.

You found the perfect lamb for entrapment. I walked right into your arms.

The days started getting easier. The anticipation of our reunion excited me. I brushed out my hair. Showered, and I even used my most expensive perfume that I had saved only for a very special occasion. I was going to get away from it all. No more sulking and waiting. No more hopeless tomfoolery. I was getting out of there. I cleaned out my house. It was ready for a viewing. Sparkling clean and decluttered just like the day I moved in. I even cleaned the car and left it looking brand new like it had never been used, with the exception being the scratches and bumps on the outside from a little reckless driving.

Everything was set in place. Everything seemed perfect. I made my way to the lake by foot. I looked at the murky water and imagined them at the bottom, waving me over. I could almost see their faces in the rippels. I took off my shoes and placed them to the side and folded my jacket and placed it beside them. I walked the first step into the water. I almost felt releaved. I was almost there. I could feel a knot in my stomach unraveling into a butterfly.

My feet trembled as the cold frosty water bit my skin like sharp pinning needles that had been lost in the haystack. Looks like I found them all. I walked further along until I was almost completely submerged. I started floating, and I couldn't get down anymore. I fought my way to get back. Eventually, it was a fight against the water. Without realizing I was already sinking.

I looked up and saw the moonlight shine through. Like an eclipse, there came darkness covering the light. It followed me down and hoisted me up as I choked on the water as we hit the surface. He took me to the bank of the lake where I coughed up the remainder of the water I had inhaled.

I looked at him, disappointed and frustrated. He looked at me, exhausted. He needed to catch his breath. "Why would you want to repeat the same mistake?" He asked with annoyance in his voice, like I was his burden to carry. I felt like tears were running down my face. It was as if I was possessed by the rain, and it was trying to drown me. He took me into his arms. I lied there lifeless with only one quarter of a soul left.

I had completely forgotten him. I wiped him from existence. But there he was like he had never left. He was a killer, a pshyco, stalker and stranger. How could I forget as I burrowed closer to him just as the tears kept running, thinking this was the lowest moment of them all if only things would end. I forgot he had me in his grasp. He was as real as he could be. He was there to torture me. He must have seen me day after day trying to stay before I lost Ethan again and tried to return the memory of him. I couldn't handle losing anything except for games. This game, I was not willing to play. Sometimes, the loser gets the greatest reward. What would he win if he got his way. What was his award?

He didn't bring me home in the freezing cold. He brought me to his car and drove for a while. I looked out the window into the darkness and saw nothing.
I closed my eyes and when I opened them he was standing by the opened car door and offering me his hand. It was still pitch black out, and I could barely see anything in the surroundings.

I took his hand, and he navigated through the dark to a cabin. Suddenly, I felt instant panic as I realized what I was getting into. I tried to act calm and slither my hand away from his without him noticing. I needed to get away. He reached to his pocket to find his keys. He had to let go of my hand for a moment to unlock the door. I contemplated running off the porch and onto the gravel road, but fear kept me trapped, unable to move. Was there anything better waiting for me in the dark. A bear ready to maul me to bits and pieces. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to pick up my feet and fly away into the forest. Whatever awaited me in that cabin would be much worse. I could have ran, and I should have. Instead, he led me inside.