Reaching eternity

11.

In the back of my mind, I still hear him telling me a lullaby. I open my eyes and hope to see him there but end up with nothing but a locket with a picture of him that I don't even recognize.

˙ǝʞɐl ǝɥʇ uᴉ ƃuᴉlddᴉɹ sǝʌɐʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞool I ɹǝʌǝuǝɥʍ ɯᴉɥ ɟo pǝpuᴉɯǝɹ ɯ,I ʍoN
˙ɹᴉɐdsǝp ɟo ƃuᴉlǝǝɟ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ɯᴉɥ pǝɔɐldǝɹ I
˙puᴉɯ ʎɯ ɯoɹɟ ɯᴉɥ ǝdᴉʍ oʇ ʎɹʇ I
˙ǝɯᴉɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇᴉɯɯoɔ ɯᴉɥ ǝǝs I puɐ sǝʎǝ ʎɯ ǝsolɔ I
˙sǝᴉl ɟo qǝʍ sᴉɥ uᴉ pǝuᴉʍʇuǝ ǝɯ pɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ɹǝʇsuoɯ ɐ sɐʍ ǝH

"I'd like to leave." I told him so multiple times. I have to go I said about a thousand times. Each time, he ignored me and told me there was no one else for me but him. His words were sharp and slithered through my mind like poison. I knew he was right because he made sure they were all gone before he locked me up. He took away the glue that held me together and expected me not to crack. I was made of glass, and he thought he could stitch me back together like a felt doll.

Was I cursed to spend an eternity being chased by the past I couldn't even fully comprehend. I begged him for an explanation. I sat got up and took careful steps towards him as the pain shot up through my legs. I tearfully asked him to tell me what he had done. He took my hand and asked for my forgiveness. He sat me down on the bed again and sat beside me facing the wall. He had something to say, but he wanted to bite down his tongue and say nothing instead.

He couldn't look me in my eyes. "I had no other way of getting you back. I was desperate, and I had nothing to lose except you." He explained. "What did you do..." I asked him as he kept quiet. He looked down and told me he had made an exchange. "The deal was that we would reunite... only your past would repeat until it all took an end." He said quietly. "I knew you were a selfish fool. I should have ran away and never looked back the first time I saw you." I shouted at him. He tried to muster a few words as an excuse, but I cut him off before he could speak again. "- You've turned into nothing but a monster."

"What about your father! I made things easier for you. He was always a monster. I could never do what he did to you!" He shouted as he stood up and faced me.
"What about my father! He was a good man dealing with issues of his own. He tried his best for as long as he could." I argued back, determined to prove him wrong. Father had his faults, but he never did me wrong. He does know him at all. "A good man?!" -"You don't remember." He said as he had a sudden realization. I looked at him, confused and frustrated. "I remember him perfectly well... I knew my father well. He was caring, loving even if he couldn't show it. He is -was battling his own personal problems." I was convinced he had him all wrong. What would he know of what he's done. "Evelyn-... You couldn't even look him in the eyes. Why do you think you asked me to get you away?" He said calmly as before he tried to break me down like porcelain. "Stop calling me that." I couldn't remember. I knew who I was, and I knew who my father was. Damien didn't know us.
"You hated your father. You claimed he was a monster. You spit on his grave." He said, expecting me to think it was a well-known fact. "Stop it, Damien." I cried out to him. "I saved you from living through hell. I drowned out your sorrows. I made sacrifices to make you happy. You keep crying after all that I have done for you." He said coldly like I had disappointed him.

"You're just a nobody." I whimpered to myself to attempt to stop the tears from pouring down like rain. He had already left and locked the door.

- - -

"Father? What are you doing... please... No!" I heard myself shouting, but I couldn't see what was happening. "I can't stand looking at you. You're nothing to me. You're only a monster." I heard myself say it, but I couldn't figure why I would hate him. I never hated him... ? I've never hated him. "NO! PLEASE -" I opened my eyes and saw Damien standing in the doorway to see what was wrong. He had a concerned look on his face and asked me if I was alright as if that was any of his concern. "Let's run. Get out of here." I said impulsively. Give in and let him get what he wants. Follow his plan like reading an instructions manual. "Run where? We're in the middle of nowhere." He asked, confused, confusing me too, but I couldn't show it. I needed him to get me out of there, anywhere else. "Where would you like to travel. I'll take you anywhere you want." He said as he bowed and gestured to the front door. "Please don't do that ever again. I'm your prisoner now, not your employee anymore." I said as I got up to get somewhat ready. He chuckled, thinking it was a joke or laughing at the irony of it. He was much more willing to get out than I had thought. What an idiot.