𝟒𝟏. 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬

Aarush

"Would you "had taken this extra care if Priya took them to her maternal home? You would trust her, wouldn't you? You wouldn't arrive before time to check if she's treating your kids right. The simple answer to everything is just, I am not their birth mom. I'm their step mom. Isn't it?" saying she left the room.

I was still as she brought Priya in this conversation. Lately I've passed days without thinking of her, life lately has been busier. But why is she comparing herself with Priya? And Birth mom and step mom? Damn! We are back to square one.

I went behind her and I saw her in the living room, seated on one end of the sofa, closing her eyes. The lights potentially were switched off, as everyone was retired to their rooms. I went and sat beside her on the same sofa, but on the other end.

"I would appreciate it if you keep Priya out of our conversation. And if I was at her house before time, she would be happy to see me"

Tension was thickening every passing second and awkwardness was engulfing the warmth of the room. It felt like the room was running cold.

"Listen to me at least" I murmured timidly, unknowing how she would react. Instead she didn't move or flinch. She was there as she was, like she's unbothered. I need to clear up the wind and get straight to my point.

"Vaani" I called her out, still she didn't attempt to reply to me.

"At least hear me-" she bashed out of the living room before letting me complete my words. I again followed her to our room and saw her settled down on bed, all ready to sleep.

"Let's sleep" her voice was more like a whisper as her gaze met mine. I didn't want to drag the topic, but sleeping with unsettled matters triggered me. I went to babies' cribs and saw them. They were peacefully sleeping. At least they can sleep peacefully! Because sleep was far off my eyes.

I switched off the lights and went to the balcony. The night was dark and there was no sign of the moon. Trees were making an eerie sound as the wind passed by, enough to make my heart sink deep.

The more I try to move forward, the more I'm pulled behind. But, today I tried overcoming my insecurities. I let them go with her. But, from the point of view of the parent I was, before Yuvaani stepped in my life took over the situation. I always wanted my kids to be with me. Wherever they go, whenever they go. Because Priya was no longer with us to look after them. I need to look after them, fulfilling the duty of both the parents.

It's not that I don't trust her. I do. But the protective parent in me was insecure. Because I was not with them. And this was the very first time they were away from me outdoors. But, I tried to control my possessiveness and protectiveness. I know my kids are safe with Yuvaani, that's the very reason I sent them with her, didn't I?

How can I make her understand that this isn't about the trust, but about my own insecurities I'm trying to overcome? I took my first step towards it today and it turned out this way.

-

I felt a few pats on my shoulder and my eyes flattered due to direct sunlight coming in them. "Come for breakfast" Maa called me out and I just nodded as I needed some time to register what was happening. I looked around, and I remember I slept on the sofa in our balcony last night.

I quickly did my morning routine and stepped in the living room.

I saw Papa and Maa on the dinner table and Vaani sitting on the floor, leaning against the sofa. Priyansh and Pihu were climbing on her and she descended them from her and seated them on the floor. But they climbed her up again.