Chapter 13

The morning sunlightwoke me from my dreamless slumber. Ironic how living a nightmare prevented me from having them in my sleep. It was as if my body gave me mercy in the sleeping hours to help me cope with my hell of being awake.

"Did you sleep well?" Pope asked. He was propped up on his elbow, staring at me as my eyes fluttered open. How long had he been watching me sleep?

"Yes," I said with a yawn. I stretched my body, oddly feeling comfortable with the fact that Pope's body was mere inches away from mine. His body heat emanated from beneath the covers we shared. "What time isit?"

"It's early. My mother should still be asleep if that's what you're worried about."

"I'm worried about many things, but whether or not your mother is asleep is not one of them," I mumbled as I reached my arms above my head and stretched again.

Pope leaned in and put his lips to my ear and whispered, "I found two cameras in the rafters." He caressed my face as he said the words to make it appear that we were sharing a soft and seductive moment. "So be careful. We have to make her feel as if you are doing your job in seducing me and our courting is going along perfectly. I think the only place that's safe for us to talk is on the deck." He kissed me on the cheek then slipped from beneath the covers and got out ofbed.

I watched him as I tried to ignore the delicate tingles that ran along my flesh when he touched me and even more when he kissed my cheek. He was only wearing a pair of shorts and his bare back beckoned my gaze. The muscles, the caramel tone of his flesh, the delicious place where his shoulder blades connected with his spine. He was hot as hell. I was about to fake the most fucked up and dark courtship with the most attractive man I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

"Coffee?" he asked as he walked toward the bedroomdoor.

"Yes. Please."

He glanced at me over his shoulder and used his eyes to signal for me to meet him out on the deck. "It's a beautiful morning today. Let's sit outside and watch for the deer. They like to come and feed near the deck. If we're lucky, we'll seethem."

Again, if I weren't a captive, this entire experience would easily be the best getaway of my life. And if you didn't count the crazy loon in the house, the company was not bad as well. Not only was Pope the most fucking handsome man I may have ever encountered, but he seemed kind, considerate, and respectful. Other than his mother, and maybe his temper, I really hadn't seen a flawyet.

Shit! Was this Stockholm Syndrome? I remembered watching a movie once on the Lifetime Channel where the lead actress fell in love with her captor. I loved the movie, but I'd always felt it was so unrealistic. Who would ever fall in love with the person who kidnapped them? But Pope wasn't the one who kidnapped me, so... so?

When Pope closed the door behind him, I got out of bed, grabbed my robe that was still lying on the floor where I'd left it, and walked on cold wood to the bathroom. I washed my face and then stared up at my reflection in the mirror. I didn't look nearly as haunted as that last time I stared into a mirror. I actually appeared refreshed, bright-eyed, relaxed. Again... as if I were on a romantic vacation.

What. The. Fuck?

Trying to not overthink before I had a cup of coffee kick starting my brain, I finished using the restroom and entered the bedroom the exact same time that Pope did. He smiled at me warmly as he carried in a tray with two mugs, a French press, and a plate of grapes and peeled oranges. If his mother were watching, she would be really impressed with her son's chivalrous act first thing in the morning? Would this make Vivian feel as if I had done a good job in my blow job? I wondered if my sucking off skills had met her approval.