Chapter 20 [The End]

The soundof Pope walking out on the deck to join me for our morning cup of coffee and fruit had my heart leap out of my chest. I had woken from a night of nightmares and hours of tossing and turning, and still couldn't shake the feeling. It still seemed impossible that Viv was dead. Vivian wasdead.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Pope asked as he sat down and picked up his mug of steamingbrew.

I shook my head. "Barely, and when I did, I kept dreaming I was caught in that fire. I even had one dream where Vivian was holding me down against the floor, refusing to let me up as the shop burned around us. And then I had others where Maria and the baby were in the flames."

Pope reached across the tiny table and touched my arm tenderly. "It's all over. You're safe now. And I called a friend of mine back home and asked for him to check on Maria and Luis last night before you and I went to bed. He texted me this morning telling me they were safe and sound with no sign of Richard anywhere to be found."

I took a huge sigh of relief hearing the good news. "The rational part of me knows that. But then I can't help but feel as if any minute I'm going to hear that southern twang dictating how I should be a dutiful wife or else. I know she's gone, but I guess it hasn't really sunk inyet."

"The entire situation was fucked. It's to be expected that it's going to take time for you to get over all that happened. It's been an awfultime."

I looked out onto the property as the morning sun shone brightly and saw the family of deer return for their breakfast grazing. It was like all the other mornings, yet today I was free. "It hasn't been all bad," I said softly as I sipped my coffee, almost in a trance as I watched thedeer.

"No, it hasn't been all bad," Pope agreed.

I looked at him. "How are you doing? You lost your momma. Are you all right?"

He shrugged. "It hurts, but in many ways I had lost her years ago when Vivian entered our lives. She never was truly my mother after that. And when I went to prison, I had said my goodbyes to her then. I really hadn't planned on ever seeing her again. I thought she would have died before I was released. So I guess in many ways, I have already grieved her death."

I took a deep breath. "So, I suppose we have to face reality now. What to do now that I'mfree."

"Wedo."

"I'm assuming Maria is worried about me." I shrugged. "Maybe not. She might have just assumed I skipped town. I'm sure my work and apartmentdid."

"Regardless, we need to get you back. It's a good day to fly. Weather'sgood."

A new sense of dread filled me. What if I didn't want to leave? What if I wanted to stay? Would that make me as insane as Vivian had been? What would Pope want? Was this really allover?

After a few minutes of silence and my mind going crazy in thoughts, Pope asked, "Can we go for a walk?" His words broke me away from my onslaught of unanswered questions.

He stood up, set down his coffee and then mine. I reached for his hand and linked my fingers through his. I offered a smile as I stood, finding it impossible to give the man anything but. He made me happy. He made me smile.

Pope squeezed my fingers tightly between his as a shiver of delight went through me. The simplest of touches confirmed that Pope was the only man for me. No one had ever had such control over my emotions, my thoughts, and my body. Pulling me into his embrace, he just held me, his breath warm against my cheek. I didn't want to leave Pope. I didn't want this all to end, and the thought of my life returning to the way it was, shattered what was left of mysoul.