Chapter 17

We both stoodon the porch, staring into each other's eyes. I didn't want the day to end or reality to slip back in. The last few hours had been a dream from which I didn't want to awaken.

I leaned forward and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for today. It was beyond anything I could have imagined."

Pope stared for several long moments before running his finger along the edge of my jaw. "I need to tell you that, for the first time, I truly feel I can say the words that seemed an impossibility to say to anyone. I -"

The front door suddenly opened and Vivian was standing there, beaming from ear to ear. "How was your date? You both are simply glowing. Glowing indeed."

"Fine," Pope snapped.

Vivian looked at me and gave an evil smile that I had grown to understand meant she had something in store for me. "I have a letter for you, child," she said as she handed me a folded piece of stationary. "To read when you are alone, of course."

"Of course," I mumbled, feeling as if all the wind had been taken out of mysail.

"Demi and I are turning in early. It's been a long day for us," Pope said harshly.

He positioned his hand on my lower back and led me into the house. He dropped off the picnic basket but continued to guide me past the kitchen, into the room we had been sharing, and straight to the deck. I appreciated how Pope had moved me from one safe bubble to the next. I didn't say anything, but took my seat with a smile on my face. I was happy. I was really happy. Was that sick? Had I lost my fucking mind? Maybe. But I was happy.

"Pope?" I heard the muffled question coming from inside the room. "May I come out there?" It was Viv. I knew it was her even with the lack of southern accent. Viv had a kindness laced within her words.

Pope opened the slider for her as she walked out to join us. Her body quivered a little, but not nearly as badly as I had seen it in the past. I got up to stand, but she put out her hand, signaling for me to remain where Iwas.

"I would like to speak with the two ofyou."

Both Pope and I remained silent. She looked out onto the open field, taking in the view and smiled.

"It's so lovely here. It really is a haven."

"Is there something you need, Momma?" Pope asked. I could see he was annoyed to have her in our special, safe place, but at the same time, I saw concern on hisface.

She nodded and then looked at me with tears in her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Demi. I wish I could stop her. I do. I try so hard to fight her back. Sometimes I can win, but it doesn't last long. You don't deserve this. Any of this." Her lower lip quivered, and I noticed her right hand was contorted a bit as it also shook.

"I know, Viv. I know you wouldn't do this if you could help it." I looked at Pope who was scrutinizing Viv's every move. I wondered if he was looking for signs of Vivian returning.

She looked at the chair that Pope normally sat in. "May I sitdown?"

Pope nodded and gently took her by the arm and assisted her into the low-slung chair. She smiled again, and stared out onto the field.

I want to die here," she said softly. "Ashes blending with the earth." She then looked up at Pope. "Which is why I'm here talking with you both." She took a deep breath. "I'm getting weaker. Sicker. I feel it, and my weakness is allowing Vivian more and more control over me every single day. I worry that eventually all that will be left will be the pure evil of her inside of me. And her demented self will not stop until sweet, innocent Demi does exactly as she's told. No matter how wicked it may be. I don't want that. I can't have that. I can't stand by and keep allowing you both to be forced to do this against your wills. I'm raping you! I'm raping you both of all that is good. Love is supposed to be good, and I am destroying that for you both." She began to cry, and my heart hurt so much. I wanted to hug her. Comfort her. How I could hate Vivian so much, but care so deeply for Viv shocked me. But it was the truth. I cared so much for the woman crying before me. "I want to die now. End it all. I need to be the one making the sacrifice so Demi doesn't have to any longer. It's time Idie."