Epilogue

[ONE YEAR LATER]

"Now that you're the team captain of the Golden Tigresses, what can we expect from the team during round 2 of the eliminations this season?"

"Uhm, just like last year po, we will take it one game at a time. We still have grit and determination from last season, pero ngayon, dumoble na. And kahit na ako na po 'yung captain ngayon, it really will be the individual work and skills of each member that will help us in every game. I'm sure po na lahat kami, sabik na sabik gawin mga part namin."

"And now, just before Season 87 Round 2 starts, how much did you miss the sounds of the roaring crowds and the loud beats of the drums? How much do the cheers of your supporters motivate you?"

"Sobra sobrang, na-miss namin. Kakaiba talaga mag-cheer 'yung UST crowd eh, sobrang nakaka-gana tsaka nakaka-goosebumps. Sobrang nagpapasalamat talaga kami na ganto 'yung pagmamahal samin ng UST crowd, wala kupas po talaga."

"Okay, last question bago kayo umalis ng dugout. Is there anything else motivating you to get your one win at a time, aside from the UST crowd? What are the other driving forces that are motivating you during every match when you step foot on the court?"

"Ikaw."

"Ay, wala na, nilandi na 'yung correspondent," I say, bringing my pen and notebook down, "Interview over."

Sabay kaming tumawa ni Cassie dahil sa deja vu moment na 'to.

It's now Season 87 Round 2 of the UAAP, and yes, nakapasa ako sa auditions! I am now the Season 87 correspondent for the University of Santo Tomas.

And yes, this season's kapitana for the UST Golden Tigresses is none other than their star setter, Cassie Carballo.

"Kailangan ko na lumabas dun, magpreprepare na ko ng spiel," I say, fixing my polo shirt, "Malapit na rin kayo pumila."

"Okay, good luck," Cassie says, smiling at me, "See you sa labas. Thank you ulit sa good luck charm, as always."

She stretches her hands to show her mueller tape, na ngayon, every game ko na nilalagyan ng initials ko.

"Thank you rin sa good luck charm." I smile, pointing to my notebook na sinulatan niya ng maliit na CC #16 sa bawat page. As in, sinulatan niya 'yung bawat page ng notebook ko.

"Good luck, Sie," I smile at her, "This is your first game during round 2 as the captain. There's no doubt in my head and heart that you'll do great. You always do."

"First day mo rin 'to as correspondent ngayong round 2, y/n," She says, nodding at me, "Wala rin akong duda na you'll do great."

We smile and just take a moment to look at each other and take it all in, kung nasaan na kami ngayon. Cassie in her Season 87 jersey, and me in my court side reporter uniform. Kahit walang nagsasalita, we both know that we're proud of each other.

"I love you, y/n," Cassie says, "Sobrang proud ako sayo."

"I love you, Sie," I smile at her, "I'm so proud of you. Alam mo 'yan, una pa lang."

We share one last hug, before pulling away to smile at each other. We take one last look at each other before I turn around and start walking away.

I walk out of their room and head outside the dugout, and make my way towards the side of the court. Grabe, kakalabas ko pa lang ng dugout pero ramdam na ramdam agad 'yung energy dito sa arena. I position myself near the correspondent's table and take a deep breath in.

Okay, this is it. New beginnings, and new opportunities. Times are changing, kaya it's okay to be scared and nervous now. The most important thing now is to feel the fear, but do it anyway.

So many things are different now. For instance, instead of being on the bleachers, I'm now here, at the court side, preparing reports.

Sobrang dami nang nagbago ngayon, pati nga si Zoe minsan na lang nakakanuod ng games kasi sobrang busy na niya sa school.

Before, I was always so nervous and uncomfortable whenever someone would take pictures or videos of me. But now, kahit na alam kong vinevideohan nila ko, it doesn't really affect me that much, unlike before.

Nag-evolve na rin mga edits sa Tiktok na ginagawa for Cassie. Kasi now, may mga edits na kasama na ko! Nag-compile sila ng videos ni Cassie of her playing volleyball, as well as videos of me reporting court side, at nilagyan nila ng "you know how to ball, I know Aristotle," na background music. Grabe, never in my life did I think na magagawan ako ng mga ganun!

Nagbago na rin 'yung tingin sakin ng supporters ni Cassie. I guess sa una, naging overprotective talaga sila. But as time passed, napansin ko na unti-unti, parang nagustuhan na rin nila ko.

Siguro nakikita nila kung gaano kami kasaya ni Cassie, kaya guminhawa pakiramdam nila. May iba pa nga na nagmemessage sakin ng apologies nila dahil sa criticisms na binato nila sakin nung una.

Nag-start na magdrum 'yung Yellow Jackets, and I find myself smiling at the familiar sound. My eyes make their way towards the opening of the dugout.

Ngayon, leading the pack as they run out of the dugout is Cassie. My heart is so full, it feels like it can burst at any second.

As always, they hold hands as they form a circle, and they bow in front of their supporters.

Ngayon, hindi na tumingin si Cassie sa crowd para hanapin ako. Agad siyang tumingin sa correspondents table and makes eye contact with me, before doing the all-too-familiar "👌🏼" sign. I do it back, and we smile widely at each other.

They start with their warm-ups, and I still feel that same sense of pride I get whenever I see Cassie on the court. It's the same feeling I've had ever since Season 85.

Whenever I see Cassie on the court, it just makes sense. I just know that she was born to be on the court. Every move is intentional, every step has purpose, and every decision she makes has a reason behind it. I'm so happy that I get to witness her growth, and watch her do what she loves to do ever since she was young.

She will forever amaze me. Since the first day I watched her set a volleyball, up until today. I'm always in awe of her skills, of her determination, of her composure, and of her everyday drive to always perform better than she did yesterday.

I'm always, always so proud of her. No matter what she does. No matter what she brings to the table. Both during her winning and losing moments. I'll always be proud of her.

From knowing only surface level information about her, I now know her better than anyone. From being a star athlete na mahirap abutin, Cassie is now my significant other. From being one of thousands of supporters, I'm now, as she calls me, the love of her life.

Pero sa dinami-dami ng mga nagbago, there's one thing I'm sure will stay the same forever. I'm proud that I'm the love of her life now, but there's another role I'll always be.

I'll always be a fan of Cassie Carballo, the University of Santo Tomas Women's Volleyball Team star setter.

I'll always be a fan of the best setter, of Maria Cassandra Rae, of Cassie.

My eyes find her on the court, and I instantly feel the familiar bursting of my heart when my eyes land on the #16 as she does her warm-ups.

After everything, pareho pa rin talaga 'yung nararamdaman kong admiration para sa kanya ever since I first saw her play back in Season 85.

Everything has changed, and I'm sure more changes are coming, but through it all, one thing will always stay the same.

I'll always be a fan of C16.