Chapter 3: Monday Mornings

I peeled open my eyes and was greeted by the soft light of my bedside lamp. It looked dark outside; I had probably missed dinner.

As I went to move to sit on the edge of my bed, pain travelled through my body, I didn't realise how much of a beating I had taken. I started to replay the events of the fight in my head, what was it that Number 2 was trying to tell me? It looked like he was saying sorry.

There was a sudden tap at my door. I straightened myself up and looked towards the door.

"Come in," I spoke. A shuffle came from behind the door before it was opened.

It was Number 2, his head lowered, I could see in his hand he had a plate with food on it

"Hi Number 8," he spoke in a low voice. He closed the door behind him but didn't move closer to me.

"I bro-ught you some food as you missed dinner, I h-hope this is okay" he gestured to the plate, it was probably a Sunday roast.

I smiled at him, trying to signal I wasn't upset with him.

"That's really kind of you, thank you. You know you can come closer, I don't bite," I tried to lighten the mood, which seemed to work.

Number 2 moved forward and placed the plate on my bedside table and sat in the chair, facing me.

"I'm glad you're awake, I wanted to apologise for hurt-hurting you," his eyes were plastered to the floor as he spoke.

"Listen, it's okay. I know the rules and I knew you wanted to beat Number 5 in the rankings. I'm not dead so there really is no need to be sorry." My words made Number 2 meet my eyes, a small smile crept up on his face.

"Thank you 8... but you should give yourself cr-credit, you did really well today. Considering you're new and that was your first fight you did better than most. You really do have a unique power."

I couldn't help but smile at Number 2's words, in a way it was comforting knowing that my first fight wasn't as bad as I thought.

"I would tell you what place you ranked but dad wants to share the results at breakfast when we will all be present."

"I appreciate that, fingers crossed you knock Number 5 off top place," I joked lightly. This made Number 2 laugh.

"Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like Number 5! He's a little sh-"

"I'm a little what, Number 2? Was the word you were looking for star? Because if so I already know. Now can you please go back to your room? I'm trying to sleep!" Out of nowhere Number 5 appeared in my room, clearly he had heard us talking.

Number 2 rolled his eyes and stood up, he turned to me before leaving.

"See you tomorrow 8!" Number 2's smile faded as his eyes landed on Number 5 and then he was gone, leaving just me and 5.

A few minutes had passed and nothing was said, so I decided to break the silence.

"Can I help you with anything?" I said, as I picked the plate up from the table, the plate was still slightly hot.

"So I guess it looks like you are officially part of the family, now there is proof you have powers and can fight." Of course, this boy had nothing nice to say.

"Yeah, so get used to it. I'm not going anywhere," I retorted back, I guess this was officially our dynamic.

"Hmm, guess so." Suddenly there was a bright blue flash and Number 5 had disappeared once again, leaving me to eat my food in peace.

" Suddenly there was a bright blue flash and Number 5 had disappeared once again, leaving me to eat my food in peace