Chapter 8: Welcome To Your Teenage Years

It had been a few hours since the incident. Dad had instructed Mum to treat me in the training room rather than move me to the medical room, as he knew this would draw attention from the others.

I could tell Dad was disappointed that I had failed and I knew this wasn't going to be the last time he would try.

Pogo did a sweep of the house to see where the others were, to make sure that no one would see me walking to my room. I was still a bit damp and cold, even with a towel around me.

Once I got the all-clear from Mum and Pogo, I made my way up to my room. I also hoped no one would see, I really wasn't in the mood to talk about what had happened, in fact, I just wanted to forget about it completely.

I think a warm shower might help me.

That idea seemed well thought out until I felt the warm spray of the water and started to freak out a little. My mind took me back to the training room and the feeling of not being able to breathe took over me.

I tightly closed my eyes, hoping I would get through whatever was happening.

You aren't in that room, you are just having a shower. You are just having a shower!

I tried to coach myself through it, forcing myself to open my eyes. I was relieved to see that I was indeed in the shower. It took a while for my breathing to get back to normal but I managed to coach myself through it.

After continuing with my shower, I got myself sorted and changed. Before leaving the bathroom, I took notice of my reflection. My eyes were quite red and my skin was pale.

Well, I mean, I did nearly die so I guess that makes sense.

For the rest of the day, I decided to stay in my room and sit in my chair next to the window, I wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone still, which was a bit upsetting as it was all of our birthdays, it would have been nice to have some fun with the others.

I recalled the conversation from last night, I couldn't help but laugh at what Diego had said. He was right, Dad was going to push us... some more than others.

A soft tap came from my door, snapping me back into my dull reality.

Hmm, I wonder who that could be.

"Hello?" I called out, hoping it was anyone other than Five. I was still furious with him from earlier.

"Hey, it's Klaus, can I come in?" Klaus spoke softly, as if not wanting anyone to know we were talking.

I was relieved that it was him at my door, I knew what he probably wanted to talk about and part of me wasn't really ready, but it wasn't just my feelings I had to consider here.

I adjusted myself in my seat before speaking.

"Hey, come in," I spoke in a quiet tone. With that, he opened the door and gave me a soft smile. I gestured for him to sit down next to me.

For a moment we just sat in silence, taking in the moment.

"So... I just wanted to talk about earlier. What happened?" Klaus kept looking at his hands, I could tell he was nervous.

I sighed.

"I'm not supposed to say anything..." I spoke softly, remembering Dad's words of not telling the others about my training.

Klaus turned to look at me, a slightly annoyed look on his face.

"Charlotte, come on. It's me..."

He was right, I knew that if I could trust anyone, it was Klaus. I decided to tell him everything, what Dad had said to me, the way I felt, the way I tried not to die and then seeing him. I decided to leave out the shower part, thinking it wasn't important and I still needed to recover from it.