iii. half moonshine, a full eclipse

"Ce que femme veut, Dieu le veut..."

'What woman wants, God wants...'

"You looked lovely

"You looked lovely..." Elayla walked with calm, straight steps "Illyrian leathers ended up suiting you very well, Cursebreaker."

Feyre twirled to look back at the High Lord's daughter, the straight posture of her spine. The smeared silver dusting her high cheekbones.

She looked every bit the image of what she thought Rhysand's daughter to be, gracious, malicious, a panther waiting for the right time to bounce on its prey.

Feyre honestly awaited for her to despise her, maybe even resent her for some reason, especially when Rhysand told her that she didn't really like having new people.

And yet, there she was, complimenting her over Illyrian leathers.

She didn't answer, she just looked at how she ran her hand across the spines of the ancients books, before stopping at one made of velvet, dark blue with the title written in golden thread.

       'A thousand Illyrian nights'

Elayla brushed the dust of it in near veneration, running her beringed fingers through the hard cover.

"Illyrian tales?" The Made Fae asked "Rhys told me about it."

"Of course he did." A smile tugged up Layla's lips before she controlled it. Feyre was nearly started by it, of how frightening it was to see Rhys's smile on another person's face.

"You have his smile..." She said, a statement "You have his eyes too."

Elayla turned her head to her.

She's heard these words enough for so long.

"I owe you." She changed the subject "You saved our High Lord."

Feyre frowned. She didn't see any sort of strict formal boundaries in the Night court, and yet, hearing Elayla call her father that felt weird even for her.

"You owe me nothing." Feyre answered, her defences right back in.

"I do." She denied "Someday, Cursebreaker." She mused "But now, just keep him alive." She asked.

Elayla closed the book in a quiet thud, putting it in Feyre's hands "And now, I'm pretty sure you would love to read something that isn't related to his inflated ego."

Feyre smiled to the female"Should I be surprised that you know?"

"The first sentences he made me read were 'Rhysand is the best baba in Prythian' and 'I won't have a lover until I am a thousand years old.'"

There was some kind of twisted humour in these words, a hint of nostalgia too.

"That sounds like him." The Cursebreaker agreed.

Elayla smiled politely before turning her back, feeling like she had to say one more thing to push Feyre to try to see the Bone Carver again.

"Feyre." She let out the two syllables for the first time "What woman wants, Gods want."