Cracks of Light in Your Box

Hakubi, slowly making her way step by step to Tayatizawa's room. Her rolling IV in hand, she would stop and stand still every so often, her hand on her stomach. She enters the room, checking to make sure Tayatizawa is not around. Slowly she makes her way to the wall, rough fingers tracing the maps of Mary Geoise, and the village below. She tilts her head, fingers calculating possible paths for escape.

...

"Hakubi, what are you doing?"

She hears the voice of Tayatizawa, her brain quickly thinking of a solution. She pushes open a cabinet, climbing inside and shutting the doors, peeking out through a small opening in the old wood, her eyes frantic. He enters the room, checking around the room, under the table, but not in the cabinet. Luckily he was much too stupid to check the cabinet. Hakubi leans back in her hiding spot, her hands pushing back the wood and the compartment opening up to a passageway. She sets her IV down, standing behind it as she slowly moves around the passage.

She soon finds that it connects with all of Mary Geoise, most likely work of slaves. She clasps her hands together in a prayer position, as if thanking them. She finds her way into her hospital room, peeking through a crack in the closet to see Tomo sleeping on the bed, with tear stains on her pillow. She slowly sits on the bed, picking up the child and rocking her gently in her arms.

"I found a way we can escape... after I have the baby, we'll go to the village through the passageways, and I'll give you both to Sachiko. You'll be free..."

Unfortunately, unknown to Hakubi, Tayatizawa had his ear pressed to the door the whole time. Maybe he wasn't too stupid.