New beginnings

It was the night of the blood moon. Lace was walking back from the school gym when she spotted someone standing in the dark. She walked closer and saw the person was on the phone. The phone call sounded strange, but she was intrigued and stayed near. The stranger ended the call and turned towards Lace.

"Fuck, you scared me," said the stranger.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," Lace said with a small smile.

"It's all good. Why are you walking alone at one o'clock at night?" he asked, looking around to see if anyone else was there.

"My roommate is an asshole, so I like to leave anytime I can... but what are you doing out here?" she asked, a strange look on her face.

"I had to take a phone call... my roommate is very noisy, and I didn't want him to hear," he said, laughing a bit. Lace laughed a little and started to walk away until the stranger yelled out, "Hey, since your roommate is an asshole, would you like to come stay with me and my roommate?"

Lace looked back, unsure of what to say, but then started to agree to go with him. The stranger saw her hesitation and said, "I know what it's like to have an asshole as a roommate. The dude I roomed with at my last school was really bad." He started to laugh, and so did she.

Lace followed him back to his dorm room. When he opened the door, they saw his roommate on the couch, eating and watching Bridgerton. The stranger yelled to his roommate, "Dude, I told you to stop eating all the groceries I buy. We're gonna have none left by the end of the week."

His roommate replied, "I'm hungry, duh. Sorry, buddy," as he got off the couch and walked to his room.

They walked into the dorm room, and he shut the door. They headed to his bedroom. As soon as he opened the door, Lace was caught off guard by the sight of knives hung up on the left wall and interesting outfits on the right.

"Why do you have knives on your wall? Isn't that a little disturbing?" Lace asked, backing away from him.

"I never found it disturbing. My dad used to collect knives. I'm just following in his footsteps because that's how I grew up," he said, walking over to show her a picture of his dad with all the knives.

"Oh, okay. You had me a little worried there. Thought you were gonna say you were a crazy killer," she laughed slightly, with a nervous look on her face.

He smiled and said, "I could never risk going to jail for a little bit of fun, you know?" He started to laugh a lot. Lace looked even more concerned, and he said, "I'm just kidding. Sorry, I have a dark sense of humor."

Out of nowhere, his roommate barged into the room and yelled, "NEW FRIEND EQUALS PARTY!"

They all started to laugh and agreed it was a good idea. The stranger started to joke and said, "How are we going to have a party, Juan, if she doesn't even know our names?"

He turned around and said, "I'm Jace. I'm new here, been here only two months. Nice to meet you," putting out his hand to shake hers.

"I'm Lace. It's nice to meet you as well," she said, shaking his hand back.

His roommate barged into the conversation, "You already know my name, but hi, nice to meet you," he said with a cute smile. They all started laughing.

"Do y'all want to see something cool?" Jace asked with a smirk. Lace and Juan looked at each other, confused, but agreed.

Jace took them towards his closet and opened it. There was another door inside, and he started to put in a code. Lace and Juan exchanged weirded-out looks. The door opened, and they all walked closer to see what was inside. Lace and Juan were speechless.

Jace said, "Welcome to my night job!" He got up on a small stage and started dancing. "Do y'all want me to buzz your hair and put on a wig? You'd look WAY better," he joked.

Lace and Juan started laughing nervously. He looked at them seriously. "It wasn't a joke. Y'all look horrible," he said, then smirked.

Juan looked at Jace. "Do you want to fight again?"

"Do you want to get stabbed?" Jace retorted. Lace looked around awkwardly while they started bickering. Jace then turned to Lace, "We should go to sleep. We have a big day tomorrow," he said with low eyes.

Lace looked at him, scared. "We have a test, silly. Duh, you're one funny girl," he said, laughing as he walked out of the closet.