Chapter 28: Beach house

JUNGWON

When I felt Jay bite my lower lip, it was like a jolt of electricity snapping me back to reality. My eyes widened in shock, and I immediately pulled back, my heart pounding like a drum in my chest. For a moment, we stayed frozen, our gazes locked. his eyes were a storm of conflicting emotions—anger, frustration, and something else I couldn't quite place.

My gaze shifted down to his lips, catching the smirk that formed there. Panic surged through me as I quickly scanned the van. To my immense relief, everyone was asleep, except Heeseung, who was focused on the road ahead, oblivious to the tension crackling between Jay and me.

The moment hung awkwardly and strangely in the air, leaving me confused and off-balance. What just happened?

I couldn't think of what to do, so I decided to fake sleeping. I closed my eyes and leaned back, trying to steady my breathing and ignore the rapid thumping of my heart.

The van's soft hum and the occasional bumps in the road became my focus. A moment later, I heard Jay scoff, the sound sharp, cutting through the silence like a knife.

The air felt thick, almost suffocating, and I could sense the weight of his gaze on me, making the moment even more unbearable. It was like being caught in a storm, the tension swirling around us, refusing to calm.

As I lay there, pretending to sleep, my mind was a battlefield of thoughts. Why did I kiss Jay? What was I thinking? Why did I let it go that far?

Damn it, Jungwon, what the hell were you doing? The memory of his smirk kept replaying in my mind, only adding to my frustration. I fought to keep my breathing steady, desperately trying to maintain my facade while my thoughts raged on.

Why did I let him get to me like that? What does this mean? No, no, it didn't mean anything. It was just... a moment of weakness. But why did it feel like more? His eyes, his smirk—what the hell is going on?

I must have actually fallen asleep at some point because the next thing I felt was someone nudging me. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw Sunghoon leaning over me with a gentle smile.

"Hey, we're here," he said softly, his voice a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves.

I rubbed my eyes, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep and the unsettling thoughts that had plagued me before I drifted off. 

I rubbed my eyes and sat up, and quickly put my earphones in my bag, as the memories of what happened with Jay rushing back like a tidal wave. I wished it had all been a dream, but the lingering tension in my chest told me otherwise.

I looked around and saw that everyone was outside the van, stretching and chatting. Even Jay was there, leaning against the side of the van with that same unreadable expression. My stomach twisted at the sight of him, the memory of his kiss and the emotions in his eyes still vivid in my mind.

"Are you okay?" Sunghoon asked, his voice pulling me back to the present.

"Yeah, just... tired," I lied, forcing a weak smile.

I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself. I just needed to get through this day, one moment at a time. But the memory of his eyes, his smirk, and the feel of his lips on mine kept intruding, refusing to be ignored.

As I stepped out of the van, the sight of the beach house Jake had booked came into view. It was larger than I'd expected, a two-story structure with a charming, rustic design that blended with the beach surroundings.