Chapter 32: complicated

JUNGWON

"Jungwon"

For a moment, everything around me seemed to stop.

Did Jay just call my name? My heart pounded in my chest as I looked up, trying to read his expression.

Jay's eyes were dark and intense, his gaze locked onto mine. A shiver ran down my spine, a mix of fear and something else I couldn't quite place.

But then, I realized it wasn't Jay who was calling me—it was Sunghoon.

"Jungwon," Sunghoon repeated, his voice softer, more urgent. "Let's go outside for a bit."

I blinked, trying to shake off the confusion. My mind felt foggy from the alcohol. I looked again at Jay, he didn't say whose name was written on the paper, instead he looked at me with his unreadable expression, threw the paper on the floor, and walked away.

I took another drink again, trying to steady my nerves, but my hands were trembling, trying not to overthink whose name is on the paper.

"Yeah, sure," I muttered to Sunghoon, grateful for the escape.

We quietly made our way to the door, the chatter and laughter of our friends fading behind us. The cool night air was a welcome relief, and I took a deep breath, trying to clear my head.

"You okay?" Sunghoon asked, his hand resting lightly on my shoulder.

I nodded, but my thoughts were still a chaotic mess.

"Yeah," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper.

Sunghoon smiled gently. "How about we go to the beach?" he suggested,

"At this hour?" I asked, though the idea was already starting to appeal to me.

"Why not? It's quiet and peaceful. We could use a bit of that right now."

I nodded, feeling a small spark of excitement.

We walked in comfortable silence, the cool night air refreshing against my skin. The beach wasn't far, and soon, the sound of waves crashing against the shore filled the air. The moon cast a soft glow over the water, creating a serene, almost magical atmosphere.

"Last one is a rotten egg!" Sunghoon suddenly shouted, kicking off his shoes and running towards the water.

I laughed, feeling a rush of carefree energy. Quickly, I shed my shoes, chasing after him. The water was cool but not too cold, and as we waded deeper, the waves lapping around us, I felt a sense of freedom wash over me.

We swam and splashed each other, our laughter echoing across the empty beach. For a moment, all the weight I had been carrying seemed to lift, replaced by a lightness I hadn't felt in a long time.

After a while, we floated on our backs, staring up at the stars. The sky was clear, and the stars shone brightly, reflecting off the water. It was beautiful, almost surreal.

"This is nice," I said softly, breaking the comfortable silence.

Sunghoon turned his head to look at me, his eyes gentle, twinkling with the stars that reflected in the night sky. "Yeah, it is. Sometimes you just need to escape for a bit, you know?"

I nodded, feeling a warmth in my chest that had nothing to do with the alcohol. "Thanks for this," I said, my voice sincere.

he smiled, a soft, understanding smile. "You deserve to feel happy."