Chapter 2

"Thai, Chinese, Indian" Charlotte pointed at the food scattered over her kitchen worktop "anything else?" She thought to herself.

It had just turned 6.30 and she had everything ready. This was a really good opportunity to make friends and make an impression. She was sure that Dr. Kinney; the chief of surgery would be there, she was in the room when Charlotte sewed the hand on. She even congratulated her.

Someone knocked on the door.

"Someone's early" she muttered to herself, wiping whatever she had on her hands on her jeans as she walked to the door.

"Joel" she smiled "you're eager aren't you?" She laughed.

Joel had one arm leaning on the door frame, making him look almost diagonal and one hand clutching a 6 pack.

"I thought I'd come and check the place out before I decided to actually come or not" he laughed

"So you decided to come then?" she winked and stepped aside to allow him in

"I thought I'd show my face" Joel joked, trying to find a space on the counter "a lot of food" he mumbled to himself

"Is it too much?" She asked biting her lip "I think it's too much"

"It's perfect" he placed his hand on her shoulder to calm her down "I think everyone's invited a plus one, so there's plenty"

Charlotte walked over to the other side of the kitchen area. She shared the apartment with Harry, it was only small. The kitchen connected to the lounge to form one big room and then in a different room there was an en suite bedroom.

She began to fiddle with chopping boards and putting things away, acting busy. "Why didn't you bring your girlfriend?" She asked shyly.

What was she doing? She had Harry. But Harry didn't show as much interest in her as he used to. He barely speaks it lets her do anything with friends.

"Ah, good question" he smiled and Charlotte turned around "that is because I do not have one"

Charlotte smiled slightly. She was happy about that.

"I actually would have thought your boyfriend would have been here" Joel mentioned Harry and made Charlotte cringe of the thought of him being here tonight.

"He's working late" she opened a can of beer and gave it to Joel, quickly touching his little finger and jumping away. "He's a personal assistant " she said half heartedly.

She didn't know what he was doing anymore. He wouldn't let her end the relationship and she didn't want to. But she knew he was seeing other women.

"And you don't like that?" He leaned on the counter and folded his arms

"What are you? My psychiatrist?" She scoffed "I've known Gavin Murphy since first grade, trust me, I have all the psych help I need"

"Unlucky" Joel laughed "but you didn't seem very interested when you were talking about him?"

"I'm not" she laughed and looked at the floor "he's probably out with another woman" she faked a laugh "I don't know why I'm telling you this, nobody knows"

Joel wasn't sure if he was happy that their relationship was breaking down or sad for her. He had only just met the girl, and his reputation does exceed him. Maybe it's best for him not to get too involved with her, she seems nice. He doesn't want to hurt her.

"Why don't you just leave then?" Joel asked

"I've tried multiple times but he always spouts this 'baby don't go' crap 'I'll Change'" she mimicked the voice "I fall for it every time"

"I know that we've only just met today" Joel have her a re assuring smile "and we've bonded over a dismembered hand; but if you need anyone to talk to, you know where I am"

"Thank you" she smiled, their moment interrupted by talking outside and knocks on the door. "I'll get that" she broke the gaze and awkwardly walked to the door.

They piled in like starving animals. Charlotte jumped to the side away from the stampede. Her arms raised and she clutched onto the can.

"Hey" she smiled to everyone, they waved and then began to dig in to the food on the worktop.

Charlotte clicked a button on the remote and played some music.

"Summer of '69" Joel started their conversation up again "you don't come across as that kind of girl"

She took a drink of her beer "that's because you don't know me that well" she smiled, placing her hands in the box he had in his hand and taking a bite of crispy chicken.

"You've made a big impression, they all love you"

"I'm a loveable person" she smiled. They were immediately interrupted by the door opening.

"Harry?" Joel asked Charlotte quietly. Most people looked but then carried on with what they were doing

Charlotte nodded her head.

He had curly ginger hair, wearing a very messed up suit. His buttons were in the wrong holes and his tie hung around his neck.

Charlotte gulped. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear as Joel noticed the couple having a silent conversation.

His expression didn't look very happy, he stood and looked at her before walking out and closing the door behind him.

"Excuse me" Charlotte placed her can on the nearest surface and left through the door after Harry.

Joel began to walk after her.

"Harry" she called out walking quickly after him

"Did I say you can have friends round?" He turned around and raised his voice

"It was my first day, we're celebrating a successful surgery" she tried to explain

"You know I don't like it" He retaliated

"You were at wo..." She began to say work but immediately changed her mind "you were whoring around with whoever you can get your hands on" she spat

Harry breathed deeply, his hands placed on around the back of his head to try and calm himself down.

He stepped forward as if to hit her but Joel stepped in.

"Excuse me mate" he said, stepping towards him

"Who the hell are you?" Harry asked

"Joel, I'm Charlotte's colleague" he said

"Oh, so now you're banging another surgeon?" He asked Charlotte who cowered

"Excuse me?" Joel tilted his head, infuriated by this mans comments

"Joel just leave it" Charlotte put her hand on his shoulder as if to pull him back.

"Joel" she exclaimed when he lunged forward and punched Harry straight in the nose.

Harry toppled to the floor after hitting the corridor wall. Charlotte quickly knelt down and tilted his head back to check if any bones had broken.

Joel saw her muscles relax when she realised that he wasn't too hurt. "Just hold your head back; I'll get some ice"

She ran into the room and back out again, holding an ice pack to his bleeding nose.

Joel kept quiet. He didn't want to leave Charlotte on her own with him but he could tell by the way Harry was huffing and the way Charlotte glanced up at him every moment; he did the wrong thing.

Harry was tool. But Charlotte loved him.

He shouldn't have hit him. But it was in Joel's nature, he was a fighter. He did it out of the kindness of his heart though, he deserved it.