Chapter 9

"She's in a coma, Joel" Melinda said, they both were stood at the reception and looking through the window into her room. "She had broken ribs and severe damage to the head, if you want more detail I would ask Shahir"

"I'm okay for now" Joel had changed out of his scrubs and into his usual clothing, his 3/4 length sleeved blue shirt and some jeans he came to work in this morning. He had a messenger bag thrown over his shoulder and he had just finished his shift. "Can I go in?"

"Sure" she smiled "you can close the blinds if you want any privacy" Melinda said

"Thanks" Joel smiled as he walked inside the room and sat on the chair next to her bed.

"Hello?" Charlotte walked down the corridor, passed nurses and doctors and patients.

She came to a halt in front of a janitor who was eating a doughnut. "Hello?" She waved her hand in front of his face, but he didn't even flinch.

"They can't see you" Charlotte turned around to see Charlie Harris, he had his phone pressed to his ear, though it seemed he was talking to her and not someone on the phone

"And you can?" Charlotte asked, walking up to him

"I can, it's complicated, you know" he said, readjusting his phone

"Am I... You know... Dead?" She asked cautiously

"I don't think so" Charlie began walking "last thing I heard you were in a coma"

"Can't we check?" She ran after him "like, can I visit myself?"

"What do you think we're doing now?" Charlie turned his head ever so slightly

Charlotte didn't know what to feel right now, she was on the edge between life and death and she didn't know where she was going to fall. "I can't die, just yet, I'm too young"

"Well we can do our best to help you get through it" Charlie said

"So you're kind of like my guardian angel right?" She nudged him, but her hand went straight through

"Oh I don't know" he shook his head "I think that place is reserved for someone a bit more... Special" they reached the ward she was kept.

"Joel?" She exclaimed, walking through the door "what're you doing here?" She seemed a mix of happy and sad at the same time "I'm okay, I'm here"

Her hands found their way to his face, but she couldn't feel him there and the odds are, he didn't even know of her presence.

"Why is he here?" She turned to Charlie and asked, but she then realised he couldn't really say anything now without sounding crazy.

Joel sat by the bed, clutching her hand tightly when he realised Charlie was standing in the door way.

"Charlie, I didn't know you knew Charlotte that well" he stood up at the sight of him

"I didn't" Charlie said. He glanced back at where Charlotte stood "we've only really just got to know each other"

"Do you need a moment?" Joel asked,
Motioning to go out of the door

"No" Charlie shook his head

"Ask him how he is" Charlotte urged

"I'm here to see how you are" Charlie took Charlotte's advice "I know you two were close"

"To be honest, I'm a complete wreck" he said "and I don't know why I'm telling you all this, but I actually really cared for her"

"Didn't do a good job in showing it" she scoffed

Charlie almost let out a laugh but stopped before it burst through his lips. "She's strong, I'm sure she can get out of this mess"

"I hope so" Joel looked down at her, her hair was kind of messy and her eyes were close, she was looking very angelic.

"Can you tell him that I'm here? Or something like that I feel the same way? Or maybe tell him to stop being such a wuss and go home" She knelt down in front of Joel as he sat back down in the chair

"Well, Joel" Charlie rocked back on the heel of his feet "I'm sure if she were with us at the moment, she would call you a wuss and tell your to go home"

"That's strange; that's exactly what she would have said" Joel chuckled to himself

Charlie chuckled as well. If only he knew.

"You know, we didn't start off on the best foot, I punched her boyfriend" Joel started to pour his heart out to an unwilling Charlie, he just wanted to get in and get out.

"I heard" Charlie nodded

"And then I killed off her patient, I thought she hated me, it was completely unbearable" he shook his head and looked at the floor, reminiscing "I didn't even get the chance to tell her how I really feel"

"I know" Charlotte tried to hold his hand as a tear trickled down her face "I didn't get to tell you how I felt, you jerk" she laughed

"I'm sure she didn't get chance to tell you what she thought about you" Charlie comforted him

"Probably a jerk" he scoffed "I ditched her at the bar the other night because my girlfriend came along, I don't even like my girlfriend"

"I knew it!" She exclaimed "she was so not your type"

"Well you are sort of a jerk" Charlie agreed with him "but I think she would have thought a bit differently"

Charlie looked at his watch "I have to go, but I'm sure she'll fight this like I fought through mine" he held up his fist "hang in there"

"Thanks mate" Joel said and looked back down at Charlotte before taking her hand "hang in there" he repeated what Charlie said to Charlotte's unconscious body "I know you can't hear me but hang in there"

"I can hear you" she gulped "I'll hang in there"