10

The next day, softball again. This time Chase was on the opposite team. The game was going slow, and Katie was gone.

I made a deal with Alec, a kid on my team with a foot injury. If he hit for me, I would run for him. So, we made up some BS about how I was just running for him, and I would hit when I got back. Well, that was a lie, cause I didn't feel like batting that day. So, Alec hit a good ball, and I ran to first.

Blake was on first, and as I was running to there, he blocked the base, standing right on it, causing me to slam right into him. He knocked me down, flipping me over the base and I landed on my hands and knees.

Of course I wore shorts that day!

My leg started bleeding. Not a lot, but it still burned.

All the guys came running to help me up, including Chase. He helped me up and guided me to the dugout.

"Idiot!" His friend Adam yelled at Blake, hitting him up side the head with his dirty glove. Ha!

Mrs. Vermont came over with a first aid kit. 'Where did that come from?' I wondered as she cleaned up my knee.

I watched the next inning, when Blakes and Chase's team was up to bat. The other team did everything in their power, it seemed, to torture Chase. The pitcher was the best junior baseball player in school, so he threw really fast, death balls at Blake. We weren't allowed to do that. Shockingly, well not really, Mrs. Vermont pretended she didn't notice any of it.

It didn't surprise me. It seemed like ever since she sent me out in tears when my mom was sick, she has been a lot nicer to me, at least, to my face.

It was very entertaining watching them mess with Blake, causing him to almost smack himself in the face several times.

Two innings later, when my team was out in the field, I was ready to play. I stood at second, and the only other semi-athletic girl in my class, Erin, stood at third.

Chase, who I thought looked extra cute in his skin tight cutoff and black shorts, was up to bat. He made it to first.

Then Adam hit, causing Chase to go past me on second and on his way to third.

But, Erin got the ball before he got there, so he quickly changed direction back towards me. Erin quickly whipped the ball to me, which I, surprisingly, caught with my glove.

What? I rarely play ball, I just watch, and I never wore a glove before!

Chase, changed direction again towards Erin, so I quickly threw it back to her. We went back and forth like this for about five minutes, everyone watching, until I decided I had enough and purposefully missed the ball.

Whoops!

Okay, so it wasn't just because I was getting tired of throwing it back in forth. I knew he was going to run into me, which he did.

I missed the ball by an inch, and Chase slammed right into me.

See, told you it worked!

I fell and he landed right on me.

No, he didn't squash me, he was far from fat.

He quickly got up and pulled a blushing me up shortly after. Hopefully he thought the blush was just from the heat.

The next person hit and got the third out, ending the game for the day.

My team won again.