Part 5 Full Life

After 16 years of life, 8 of which were spent in service, searching for humans in cities destroyed by catastrophes, today I can say that it was worth leaving that place. I left at the right moment and found the right place.The last years have been full of love and care. The man, whom I learned to call a friend, always treated me with tenderness and respect. I remember the cold nights when I snuggled up by the fireplace, feeling the warmth and peace I had never known in that place from many years ago. The mornings were a gift, with the sun caressing my fur and the wind bringing me the scents of the blooming garden.He taught me to trust, to play without fear, and gave me a purpose. In each rescue mission, I felt I was repaying the love and opportunity they gave me. Helping to find lost people filled me with a satisfaction I cannot describe with words. I knew that each life saved was a tribute to my own story of salvation.Now, as I rest on my favorite bed, I feel the weight of the years in my bones. My movements are slower, and sometimes it's hard to get up, but my heart is full of gratitude. I look around and see the other dogs, some young and full of energy, others old rescue companions, all living in the safe haven I also called home.The man, my friend, sits by my side. His hands, though wrinkled by time, are still as soft and firm as the first day he saved me. He pets me behind the ears, a spot that always makes me close my eyes and sigh contentedly. He knows my time is near and speaks to me with a warm and comforting voice.—Little Gray, you've been a good boy. More than that, you've been a hero. You've given me so much love and companionship. Now it's time to rest.I feel a mixture of sadness and peace. Sadness because I know I will say goodbye to this world, but peace because I know I lived a full life, filled with love and purpose. My friend wraps me in a soft blanket and whispers words of farewell. I close my eyes and let the tears fall gently down my face. They are not tears of pain, but of gratitude.As my breathing slows down, I remember those early days, the rain, the rancid kibble, and the desire to know something better. I found it. I found a home, a family, and a reason to live. And although my life ends today, I leave knowing it was worth every minute. Every bark, every game, every mission was worth it.Thank you to the man, not only for saving me but for giving me a life I never imagined possible. My heart beats one last time, full of love and gratitude. And so, I close my eyes forever, knowing I was loved until the end.