Chapter 7: Return to Jahanpur

It had been a long week for Emaan since she was rescued from her captors. After Jahanzaib saved her from the clutches of ruin, she ran into the safety of Shagul's maternal embrace. Emaan sniffed back her tears as Shagul stroked her covered head and over her back calming the young girl down. Tightening her embrace, Shahgul took a deep breath of relief; now Emaan was home.

"How could they do this to me?" Emaan's body shuddered with tears. "What did I ever do wrong?"

Shahgul removed her face veil to feast on her beauty dreaming of her future grandsons with wide eyes, clear fair skin. This was the woman who would strengthen her lineage. Her teeth straight and pearly white, she had good DNA to pass onto her sons.
"This is your home." Shahgul kissed her forehead. "You are safe."

Emaan was quickly taken into Sang e Mar Mar haveli and designated a large room in the women's zenana. Emaan's eyes widened with awe feeling like a princess. The room was adorned with Italian furniture, gold and white painted headboards and wardrobe. A white dressing table with a large mirror and spot lights. She walked around the room brushing her fingers against the velvet damask curtains and the potted plants sucking in the daylight that flooded from the balcony. It was a world away from her bare room in Kharagpur. Here she had views of the horizon, marching of maids and guards below; there was life and joy. Standing on the balcony, she held the barrier and looked down at the courtyard. One day she would become Queen of the haveli. She took in a deep breath and squared her shoulders

"This is MY home." She reiterated Shahgul's words that echoed in her head since she arrived.

Soon, designer dresses, lawn suits, heavily, hand embroidered shawls were delivered to her room. Shahgul spoiled her with gold bangles, bracelets and pierced her ears to dress her with luxurious diamond earrings. This time when Shah Nawaz looks at her, he won't be able to look away, Shahgul smiled at the thought.

Emaan's mother Jamila would often visit the haveli unable to recognise her daughter now dressed like the queen she deserved to be. Jamila watched the maid massage her daughter's feet, but she was unsatisfied.
"Go away. Your hands are like twigs." Emaan pulled her feet back. "I want my maid from Kharagpur." She requested Shahgul. "She knows how to care for me." 

Shahgul appeased to her every demand and Emaan became acclimatised to the preferential treatment. Shahgul stroked her ego and reminded her, that her destiny was to be queen of Jahanpur, making her think and believe like a queen.

"So, where is your son?" Jamila took the cup of chai to her lips and sipped the sugary, milky tea.

"He is away on business. He will be back soon." Shahgul lied unsure where Shah Nawaz disappeared to for the last week.
"When he returns we will soon announce his wedding and set the dates for the nikah."
Jamila smiled the news warming her heart as the tea warmed her bones.
"No one can stop my son and your daughter from marrying now." Shah gul announced. Shahgul sat up and smiled. "He will be here in a matter of hours." She confirmed looking at the clock. "Prepare his meal." She announced to the maids.

However, Shah Nawaz had a different plan. It was a week later when Shah Nawaz returned late into the night. The guard announced he could see the convoy of vehicles head lights arriving from the city. Shah Nawaz was back in Jahanpur. Emaan's heart fluttered. It had been too long. She jumped out of bed and dashed to the bathroom to dress herself for their reunion. Now, she was in Sang e Mar Mar haveli she no longer needed to conceal herself behind veils. She could stand on the balcony and watch the courtyard gazing upon Shah Nawaz. This was the dream.

*****

The haveli were in for an almighty shock when the gates opened welcoming Shah Nawaz's convoy. The long journey felt like minutes for Shah Nawaz. When the cars arrived into the courtyard Uzayr jumped out and opened the door for Shah Nawaz. Shahgul and Jamila made their way out into the courtyard ready to greet him with Malaikah and Fiza closely behind. Emaan stood on the balcony, concealing her face with a chador over her nose and mouth. A week had gone by and the wedding plans were simmering. The women deciding on the days of the mehndi, the nikah sending a buzz of excitement. It would be the wedding of the century. Tonight they were excited to share with Shahnawaz.