Chapter 9: Cold Day of Truth

Under the morning sun the maids stood in their crisp, white, pressed uniform with their heads draped in chiffon dupatta. Standing in straight, neat rows with their hands held in front of them, they bowed their head in obedience as Shah Nawaz stood in front of them castrating each and every one of them.
"Who was it?" Shah Nawaz roared demanding an answer. His anger permeated through his body ripping the black kurtha like hulk. The maids trembled in their sandals scolding under the sun.
"I demand to know who disrespected my order!" He roared marching along the lines.
Shahgul stood behind tutting in disapproval. What was wrong with him?
"I can fire each and every one of you and replace you all!" He threw his glass with a crash as the maids jumped.
"So who was it?! Which one of you disrespected my Hoorayn?!"
Shahgul screwed her nose in disgust. 'My Hoorayn?' She was nothing but a piece of meat who he grazed each night.
"When I order you to do a task- I expect you complete it with the highest standard! Especially with a guest!" After hearing Hoorayn disclose her mistreatment from the maids, his blood boiled with anger.
"Leave them, puthar." Shahgul approached putting her hand on her son's shoulder trying to calm him down. He shrugged her hand off.
"I promise you- if I hear another word against any of you- I will fire you all. I don't care if you have served this haveli for generations! You work in this haveli by my standards! You keep you opinions and judgements to yourself! You hear?"
"Ji Choudhary Saab." They sang back in chorus.
He lifted his hand and dismissed the maids in anger. "Get lost!"
"Puthaar- what are you doing?" Shahgul admonished. "You bought that woman back to Jahanpur and now you are humiliating our hard working maids for her sake?"
Shah Nawaz now turned to his mother. What did she say to Hoorayn?
"Didn't I tell you no one can go into my room?" The moment he turned his head, his pounding migraine returned to the right side of his head.
"Are you going to fire your mum now? Are you going to scold me?" Her tone filled with anger. "Have you decided her punishment? Today in front of the maids you called her a guest! She is your enemy- she stabbed you!"
"I destroyed her life, Ammi!" His voice thick with anger and grit. "You, baba- this tradition to take her forcefully and make her mine. To destroy her! Degrade her. Dump her! Didn't you- didn't you all want me to do what a Choudhary does with women?!"
Shahgul was startled with his thinking. Was he questioning their family's tradition?
"You are a woman- do you think the same?" His voice sharp and piercing.
"You're out of your mind!" She snapped. "She is a no body. A fallen widow!"
"Who was part of her fall?" He neared her, now glaring into her eyes. "I played a part in destroying her life." He punched his chest.
"Even though I despised that bastard, he was her husband - he gave her a home. Now, it's all gone!" He turned away from his mother.
"You were obsessed over her- day and night!" She grabbed his arm and pulled him back. "All I saw was you buzzing around that married woman like a fly! You had to get her out of your system!" Her hand now tight on his arm.
He pulled his arm free and flung his shawl over his chest.
"It's what Baba expected of me! That I take her - for one night. Would you be proud of your son if I did that?! Would I have upheld the haveli masculinity?"
Shahgul turned her face away. It was the way the haveli worked. She turned a blind eye to her husband's fancy women and one night stands. As long as she was his wife, he can do what he pleased with other women.
"She doesn't know the truth- she doesn't know how I am responsibly for destroying her life and her honour. I was angry, vying for vengeance. I would have burned down Jahanpur to destroy her!"
Shagul trembled seeing the look of rage in her son's eyes. Why was he talking like this?
"So you won't punish her?" Shahgul questioned with disgust. "She stabbed you, puthar." Her voice softened with maternal worry.
Shah Nawaz raised his hand dismissing his mother.
"You stay out of my room." He raised his finger and walked away. "I will decide what to do with her!" 

Shagul tightened her hands into fists. It was time to dig her heels deeper and fight. Her son wasn't wavering. He was determined to keep Hoorayn as his trophy. Maybe it was his gnawing guilt for destroying her life? But she had different plans for him, better plans, plans that included a beautiful, virgin bride. Her lineage would be embedded with many strong, Choudhary grandsons.