10

"Don't look so shocked," I growled, readjusting my grip around her petite frame. "You're not exactly a master of balance, in case you hadn't noticed."

Her face flushed slightly at her sudden change in position, but she didn't argue. She let herself be carried, her arms instinctively wrapping around my neck to stabilize herself.

I was keenly aware of her small body in my arms, the warmth radiating from her, the scent of her hair.

But I pushed the thoughts away, focusing on getting us both out of the room and to the hospital's discharge desk as quickly as possible.

The nurse behind the desk looked up as we approached, her eyes widening slightly as she saw the petite girl draped in my arms.

"Discharge?"

I curtly nodded, my face a stoic mask as always.

"Yes," I said bluntly. "Sign her out. We're leaving."

The nurse nodded and diligently began filling out the necessary paperwork.

Jennie said nothing, her arms still around my neck, her face buried slightly in my chest. I could feel her breath on my skin, soft and warm.

The nurse handed me a sheaf of papers and a prescription, her gaze flickering from me to Jennie and back. "All right, you're all set," she said, her voice professional.

I took the papers from her, shifting Jennie in my arms so I could hold them more securely. "Thanks," I said brusquely. Without another word, I turned and began walking out of the hospital.

Once we were outside, the cool air hit us, a stark contrast to the sterile environment we had just left. She shivered slightly at the sudden change in temperature, and her arms tightened around my neck.

I shot her a glance, noting the slight tremble in her body. I hadn't even thought about the fact that she was still wearing her thin hospital gown. "You're cold," I stated, my voice less gruff than usual.

She nodded slightly, looking up at my face now. "A little," she admitted softly, the breath from her words forming small clouds in the cool air.

I adjusted my grip on her, pulling her closer to me, an instinct I didn't even fully understand. "We're almost at the car," I said softly.

She simply nodded, burying her face back in my chest, her breath warm against my skin.

When we reached my car, a black sedan, I carefully set her down, making sure she was stable before opening the passenger door for her.

She ducked into the passenger seat, her movements still slowed by her injuries.

Once she was settled, I closed the door and moved around to the driver's seat.

Once I was seated, I took a moment to look at her. Her small frame was almost swallowed by the large passenger seat, her legs tucked up beside her as she tried to stay warm.

I felt a pang of something that I wasn't used to. Pity? Concern? I pushed the emotions away, forcing my usual brusque tone. "Seatbelt."

She gave a small nod, her eyes still a little wide as she took in the car's interior. It was pristine and expensive, a far cry from the stark hospital room we had just left.

I buckled my seatbelt and started the car, the engine purring to life with a low rumble.

The city lights outside the window cast a dim glow over her, her profile illuminated by the soft glow.

I shot a quick glance at her, my eyes catching the way her hair fell softly around her face.

I didn't say anything as I pulled out of the parking lot, my focus on the road ahead. The car glided forward smoothly, cutting through the late-night traffic with ease.