11

She walked over to the bed, the silk sheets making soft, rustling noises as she moved. She sat down on the edge, her legs swinging a little since they didn’t quite reach the floor. She looked up at me, her eyes big and questioning. "Do you live here alone?"

I leaned against the doorframe, crossing my arms in front of my chest. I had a feeling a question like that was coming. “Yes,” I answered bluntly.

She fidgeted slightly on the bed, her fingers toying with the edge of the silk sheets. "What about your parents?" she finally asked, her voice so soft I almost didn't hear it.

I pushed myself away from the doorframe, stepping further into the room. I leaned against the foot of the bed, keeping a small distance from Jennie. “I have a mother who lives in Paris,” I answered gruffly.

She nodded silently, her eyes flickering up to me for a moment before dropping back down to her lap. I could see her trying to process my words, her small hands still toying anxiously with the edge of the silk sheets.

I pushed myself off the foot of the bed, my movements a bit stiff. “You must be hungry,” I said gruffly. “I’ll get you something.” I turned to leave, until her voice stopped me.

“Wait,” she said, her voice small and fragile. I paused, my hand on the doorknob, and looked back at her. “What?” I asked, my tone slightly sharper than I intended.

She looked up at me, her eyes wide and vulnerable. “Stay,” she said softly, her voice almost a whisper. “Please.”

I stared at her for a moment, her words hanging in the air. I wasn’t sure what surprised me more: the plea, or the fact that I didn’t immediately refuse. I let out a sigh, my shoulders tensing as I turned back to face her.

I moved away from the door and sat down on a chair in the corner of the room, watching her silently.

The room fell quiet, the only sound being the soft swish of the silk sheets as she fidgeted on the bed. I watched her through narrowed eyes, my gaze lingering on her small frame, on the way she seemed to curl into herself, like a small animal seeking shelter.

I leaned back in my chair, trying to appear casual even as my thoughts were anything but. Why was I staying? Why did her words affect me so much?

The room was still and silent, the only sounds were the soft ticking of the clock and the sound of her slow, even breaths. I had no idea what to say, how to break the silence that had settled over us like a heavy veil.

I shifted in my seat, the leather creaking softly under me. I could feel her gaze on me now, though I didn’t look up to meet it.

I looked up, meeting her gaze for the first time since sitting down. "Since you don't know your name," I began, my words cutting through the silence, "I had to give you one."

I studied her for a moment, the way her eyes nervously flickered from me to the sheets. "Jennie," I said with a gruff tone.

She looked at me for a moment, her eyes searching my face. "Jennie," she repeated, whispering the name softly to herself. She seemed to test how it felt, rolling the syllables over her tongue like she was tasting something new and foreign.

Her eyes met mine again, and I thought I saw a flash of vulnerability in them. "Is that who I am now?"

I frowned, my jaw clenching slightly. "I suppose," I answered. "Until you remember your real name, that is."

She bit her lip, looking away from me and down at the silken sheets. She fiddled with the hem of the sheets, her small fingers tracing the soft material absently. "What if I never remember?"

I didn't answer right away. I leaned back in my chair, my gaze fixed on her. "Then Jennie it is," I replied tersely, my words broaching no room for argument.

He seemed to shrink a little at my tone, her shoulders hunching slightly. She was silent for a long moment before she spoke again, her voice even quieter than before. "Jennie..." she echoed again, almost as if whispering a secret.

I watched her, my eyes narrowing as she said her new name a few times, testing it again. There was something about the way she said it, the way she seemed to hold on to it as if it was the only thing grounding her.

I pushed myself up from the chair, the leather creaking softly. "I'll go get you something to eat," I said brusquely.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but then closed it again, as if thinking better of it.

I turned and walked towards the door, the carpet muffling my steps.

Jennie's P. O. V.

I sat on the bed, my fingers still toying with the edge of the silky sheets. The room seemed so quiet now without the grumpy guy around, and it only made me feel more alone. I looked around the room, taking in the sparse furnishings and neutral colours.

I let out a soft sigh, feeling a flutter of anxiety in my stomach. I was alone in an unknown house, with a stranger for company.

Realization hit me like bricks as I whispered to myself wide-eyed, "Jane! Jane! Are you there?"

There was no response for a few seconds until I heard her soft tired voice calling my name, "Beth."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me as I heard Jane's voice, soft and comforting in my head.

A warm deep breath escaped my parted lips as I looked at the ceiling, my legs crossed on the bed and my hospital clothes still on me.

"So... We're here in the human world." I state, shrugging my shoulders slightly.

"Right," Jane answered but I could sense the fear in her voice.

"Beth? How... are we gonna get back?" Jane asked the most likely question as I rubbed my temples with both hands.

"I don't know," I breathed out.

I bit my lower lip, my heart sinking down to my stomach. We were in an entirely different realm, with no idea how to get back home.

We'll figure it out, Jane. We have to.

I stood up from the bed, pacing around the room as I tried to come up with a plan. But my mind kept drawing a blank.

I stopped in front of the window, looking out at the unfamiliar landscape. The buildings, the streets, even the light - everything felt so strange and foreign.

I turned back to face the bed, flopping down on it and burying my face in my hands.

We're in way over our head, aren't we, Jane?