Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Ma, are you home?" I called out, to the quiet house.

"Hello honey," She smiled, emerging from the kitchen with a tea towel in her hand, "how was your last day?"

"Weird." I laughed, setting my bag down on the floor and falling onto the couch. Our living room couch was always so comfortable, with big cushions and blankets to throw over yourself. Probably one of the reasons as to why the living room was my favourite place in the house.

"So the usual then?" She grinned, heading back into the kitchen.

"Pretty much."

"When are you getting ready for tonight?"

I hadn't really given much thought about tonight. To say that I'd been looking forward to this night since I was in the first year, would be a drastic understatement. If it didn't turn out to be as magical as I hoped, I would be severely disappointed.

"No idea." I answered, as I strolled into the kitchen, pushing myself up onto the laminate counter.

"I was wondering, if I could do your hair and makeup?" She asked hopefully, a glint in her pure blue eyes.

"Course you can ma," I opened the fridge and scoured the contents. Pulling out a bar of chocolate, I went to open the wrapper, but the bar was quickly snatched out of my hands.

"I'm not letting you waste all those months you spent in training trying to get toned up for prom," An agitated tone filled mum's voice, and she returned the chocolate bar back to it's place in the fridge.

"But ma," I whined, folding my arms and turning my bottom lip up.

"But ma nothing, besides, I'm making tea soon," She sighed. Jumping down from the counter, I sloped off into my room.

I sat on my bed, eyes transfixed on my prom dress. That's when the nerves hit the bottom of my stomach. What if tonight wasn't as amazing as I'd pictured in my head?

What if I was stood in the background, ignored by everybody?

I tried to shake the thoughts from my head, but now a fresh batch of hesitations had sprung to mind.

What if this, what if that?

Each thought became more negative than the last, and I slowly began to reconsider going to prom at all.

~.~

"Baby girl, you look so beautiful," Mum gasped, holding her hand to her mouth.

Smoothing my hands over the deep blue material of my dress, my eyes flicked up to look at myself in the mirror. The girl before me was almost unrecognisable. She looked elegant, and poised. Her hair was in tight curls, with no stray hairs in sight. Her makeup was subtle, but noticeable at the same time. Even her posture had been dramatically improved, and she was standing up completely straight, her shoulders back and head held high.

I couldn't believe I was looking at myself.

I was in genuine shock.

"Come on, we don't want you to be late, do we?" Mum interrupted my thoughts, holding an outstretched hand towards me, ready to lead me downstairs.

"Have fun," She smiled, the sadness in her eyes was painfully visible.

"I'll try," I smiled back weakly. I opened the door, glancing back at her and then I stepped out. Opening the door to my range rover, I started the ignition with a simple flick of the key. Slowly and carefully, I pulled out of the drive, starting the 10 minute drive to school.