Chapter 5

Graphite

Chapter 5

"Wow, it's so pretty up here," I gasped, my toes dangerously close to the edge of the rocky slope. Gazing out into the distance, I could see everything. Everything was so peaceful and serene. It was beautiful. A thousand stars shone overhead, and the moon hung dimly in the sky. I never thought I'd see the world like that. So quiet, so still.

"It is," Harry murmured in agreement.

He'd been here before clearly. How else would he know the way up? Why else would he bring us here? Yet, he was acting as if this was a whole new sight to him.

"Come away from the edge Sadie," Harry warned, but I overlooked his cautions and continued to peer at everything that lay below my feet.

"Sadie, I said come away from the edge," He raised his voice, gripping onto my hips and pulling me away from the boundary separating the hills and the valleys that rested beneath.

"What was that for?" I frowned, showing my deep annoyance.

"A simple thanks would have been nice. If you went tumbling down that drop, I wouldn't have been responsible." Harry shrugged, looking rather awkward as he scratched the back of his neck.

"I wouldn't have fell dumbass," I replied coldly. It was a little rude of me, I admit.

"How do you know that?" Harry's voice cracked and he went quiet.

"I don't, I guess," I grimaced, rubbing slightly at the crook of my arm.

"Exactly."

"Still," I tried to think of a smart point to counter his argument, but my mind went completely blank. I frowned, kicking a stone with the front of my shoe. It rolled slightly, but then stopped dead in it's tracks.

"I guess I've just been outsmarted," I let out a little smile, directing it towards Harry. His own lips transformed into a triumphant smile.

"I guess you have."

For a while, I remained in my own thoughts, sat on the floor with my legs crossed in a slightly inept position. I was so far out, that I didn't realise that Harry had settled himself beside me.

"What are you thinking about?" He whispered into my ear, his hot breath fanning across my neck.

"Nothing in particular," I murmured in response, watching as Harry's eyelashes gently fluttered each time he blinked. Sombreness dwelled on his features, and he appeared to be at ease.

"There must be something," His voice was gentle, as though it was barely there.

"R-really, it's nothing," I forced a smile, pushing my darkest most thoughts to the back of my head. We barely knew each other. I wasn't going to spill my secrets to a stranger.

Strangers. The whole world seemed to be full of strangers.

But then, if we didn't talk to strangers, we'd never make friends.

Logical, huh?

"I'm not going to force anything out of you," I smiled appreciatively towards him.

"Thank you," I uttered, quickly glancing over at Harry, before returning my gaze to the landscape. The dark night sky blended with the mountain range in the distance, and now I couldn't tell where the land ended and the jet black yonder began.

I couldn't help but think about how good the scenery would look on paper. I imagined the grey shading, and the diversity of each tone. I imagined how it would look, tacked to my wall.