Chapter 15: No ENDing Here

Antonnia POV

As we headed to Michelle's mother's house for lunch, we prepared an array of delicious foods. The air was filled with the mouthwatering aroma of roasted chicken, freshly baked bread, and a variety of side dishes that we had worked on together. It was going to be a special day, with both of our families coming together.

As we were about to leave our apartment, Michelle, with her hands full of dishes, called out, "Baby, can you grab my keys from my pocket? My hands are full."

My heart skipped a beat. This was it, I thought. I eagerly reached into her pants pocket, expecting to find the engagement ring I had been secretly waiting for. But to my disappointment, I found only her keys.

Trying to hide my letdown, I smiled and pulled out the keys. "Got them," I said, my voice light but tinged with a hint of disappointment.

She noticed the change in my demeanor but didn't say anything. We loaded the car with the food and set off for her mother's house, My mind racing with thoughts of when she might actually propose.

We decided to stop on our way to buy flowers for our mothers. As we approached the cashier, Michelle realized she didn't have her wallet in her pocket.

"Baby, can you grab some money from my bag?" She asked, handing me the backpack she had brought along.

My heart fluttered with excitement. This could be another chance to find the ring, I thought. I eagerly unzipped the bag and rummaged through it, but my hopes were dashed when I found only her wallet and a few random items. There was no ring.

Hiding my disappointment, I took out the money and handed it to the cashier. We left but I couldn't shake the feeling of letdown. I decided to hint to her about my expectations.

"Babe, are you sure you didn't forget something?" I asked playfully as we walked back to the car.

She looked puzzled. "Forgot something? What do you mean?"

I tried to keep my tone light. "Oh, I don't know, maybe something important that might be in your pocket or bag?"

She furrowed her brow in confusion. "No, I don't think so. I've got my wallet, my keys... What are you talking about, Baby?"

I sighed inwardly. It was clear that she had no idea what I was hinting at. I forced a smile and shrugged. "Never mind. I guess I was just imagining things."

We drove in her mother's place in relative silence, the weight of my unspoken hopes hanging in the air. She noticed my subdued mood but didn't press me on it, thinking I might just be tired.
_________________________________________________

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted by her family. Her mother was bustling around, putting the finishing touches on the table setting, while my family was also there, adding to the lively atmosphere. It was a beautiful day, and the backyard was set up for a perfect family gathering.

As we sat down to eat, the conversation flowed easily. We exchanged glances throughout the meal, our unspoken connection evident to everyone around us. My parents were sharing stories about our childhood, making everyone laugh, while her parents did the same for her.

After lunch, her mother brought out a beautifully decorated cake. "I made this specially for today," she announced. "It's a celebration of family and new beginnings."

I couldn't help but feel a pang of anticipation. I glanced at her, hoping this might be the moment. But she seemed focused on helping her mother with the cake, not showing any signs of nervousness or impending proposal.

Later that afternoon, as we settled in to watch a movie, I tried to focus on the screen, but my mind kept drifting back to the ring. I wondered when she would finally propose and how I could keep my growing impatience in check without making her feel pressured.