Chapter 56 - LINKS

A.N

Hiii there, I don't have much to say so here is another chapter ! I hope you'll like it

Byeee, M

-----------

...DECEMBER...

Maxine's POV :

Today is the day I go home, well not really home but at least I'm out of the hospital and Renee is taking me to her place.

I'm making progress, still not walking alone but I can stand and make a few steps without any help. Thanks to my sister and Renee, I try to enjoy the small victories.

"Ready to go ?" Renee asks with a warm smile asI check my room for the hundred times, making sure I haven't left anything behind. What could I forget more than my own memories anyway ?

I nod, and we make our way outside. I have my few personal items in my lap, and she's pushing me in the wheelchair, waving to the nurses and staff as we pass by.

The car ride to her house is not really long, maybe 20 minutes. We pull into a big white modern house and she immediately gets out to help me. She took the wheelchair out of the trunk and helped me sit in it.

"Welcome home," she says with a smile as she opens the high sanded glass door, revealing my family waiting behind. They wave excitedly, their faces lighting up when they see me. They seem fine and comfortable in the space, it makes me happy. As Renee wheels me through the hallway, I can't help but notice how spacious and inviting the house is. We pass by several doors, which I assume lead to the two bedrooms and the bathroom my family is staying at.

We join my family at a wide, open area illuminated by a patio that floods the room with the winter sunlight. On one side there's a white piano and several guitars on the wall. On the other, there's a large dining table with a gigantic flower bouquet.

I hug everyone, swallowing back the pain in my back as I do, and we make our way further into the house, into the living room and open kitchen.

Renee leaned into me and whispered "Do you want me to get you your pain meds ?"

I really like how attentionate she's being, like right now, nobody else saw my pain except her, never mind how much I tried to hide it.

"I'm fine don't worry"

She nodded and brought me more into the living room. The entire space opens up to a garden and a pool area, separated by large sliding glass doors. This house feels familiar, I mean I think it is. From what Renee told me, I came here a lot before the accident.

We all hang out on the couch, playing games and talking together until it's time to make dinner. My dad decided he will take care of it, he's actually a great cook. While he's at it, we continue our game. I'm seated on the couch teaming up with Renee for the game, she snuggles into me and starts whispering her strategy, her breath tickling my neck and sending shivers down my spine. Each time her fingers brush against mine to point something out, my heart skips a beat.

Dinner is ready soon enough, and we all gather in front of the TV to eat, all watching a movie together.

My brother and my mom inevitably fall asleep halfway through the movie, their heads bobbing forward as they struggle to stay awake.

Once the movie ends, everyone decides to head to bed. I'm exhausted, but I know I won't be able to sleep. I actually didn't have an complete night of sleep since I woke up from my coma. I think it's a mix of anxiety and not finding the right position.