CHAPTER 11

School was becoming more enjoyable for me

School was becoming more enjoyable for me. I felt like myself again, and I could relate to everyone without worries. My parents and grandma were making a conscious effort to spend more time with me, which was lovely. I suspected that the principal might have informed them about what happened, but I wasn't certain. Nevertheless, it was obvious that they were more invested in my personal life recently. I appreciated their concern and willingness to support me. From time to time, they asked if I needed help with anything, and they were ready to provide it. While part of me enjoyed the extra attention, another part felt like they were doing too much. In a few months, I'll be preparing for college, which means I'll be far away from them. I recalled how much I used to miss them when I was in boarding school, but maybe that was because I was younger then. For now, I'm soaking up all the love and attention they have to offer, because soon it won't be as readily available.

*.            *.               *.           *.                 *.      *

We are currently preparing for final exams, which is the dreaded WAEC. But before the exams, my school had registered for a national essay competition. We were asked to take an internal test in preparation, so that the best students could represent our school in the main competition. Guess who won? Me, of course. Writing is my talent. I never had to practice much when it comes to English language and literature. I did well in chemistry too, but the difference is that I didn't need to study hard to do well in English and literature. I was selected to represent our school in the upcoming event.

The day of the competition had finally arrived. I began the day with my usual prayer, dressed neatly with my hair done. After having breakfast with my family, I packed the necessary items I would need for the test. My grandma packed snacks in my bag and wished me good luck.  My parents took me to the school where the competition would take place. The national essay competition, organized by the Minister of Education, was a yearly event where the overall winner would receive a scholarship to study abroad. This was a huge opportunity for me, and I was prepared. Most importantly, I knew Jesus Christ was with me, and I was confident I would win.

When I arrived at the school, my principal and English teacher were already there, waiting to give me moral support. Each student was accompanied by at least two staff members from their respective schools. The other students seemed smart and organized, but I had nothing to worry about. At the end of the day, it wasn't just about winning; it was about the experience. It was already a huge privilege to be selected to participate, but I still hoped to win for my family and school to be proud of me.

The competition was scheduled to start at 10 AM sharp. We were assigned our seats, and once everyone had their writing materials, we were asked to begin. We were given a general topic: "Beyond Tribal Boundaries: Embracing Our Shared Humanity to Foster a Culture of Unity and Progress." I thought to myself, "What an interesting topic!"
My mind started racing with ideas. I thought about my life recently. I took a deep breath, grabbed my pen, and began to write.

"The words flowed effortlessly, as if my heart was speaking directly to the paper. I wrote about the beauty of our differences, the strength in our diversity, and the power of unity in the face of adversity. I wrote about the need to break down barriers and build bridges, to foster a culture of understanding and empathy.

"Before I knew it, the two hours were up, and we were asked to submit our essays. I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment, knowing that I had given it my all. As I walked out of the exam hall, I saw my parents and teachers, all beaming with pride. I knew that, regardless of the outcome, I had already won something far more valuable - the knowledge that our shared humanity was far greater than any tribal boundary.

*.            *.                  *.                  *

After the competition, I returned home to relax. Femi called later in the evening with a new number; I had blocked the previous one. He wanted to check up on me and ask how the competition went. I told him it went well. He also apologized for what happened between Ayo and me, then shared how he had confronted her the day she bullied me in the library. He opened up to me, revealing that they were never really in a relationship, and she was just obsessed. He felt sorry for her and was only trying to be kind, but she misinterpreted his kindness as reciprocating romantic interest. He even shared instances where he wanted to clarify the rumors that they were dating, but he would end up not doing it because he didn't want to hurt her. He believed her behavior was a result of 'daddy issues.' He finally gathered the courage to end their situationship with her after the library incident.

"'I feel sorry for her,' I said.

"'Yeah, at least she has apologized to you and realized I'm no longer tolerating her childishness,' he replied. 'So, can you please be free around me? Let's be friends."
He asked excitedly. I paused for a while, then finally agreed. He was so happy about my response.
We discussed other topics, including the upcoming final exam. Later, my mom knocked on my door, asking me to join her in preparing dinner. I ended the call with Femi and went to join her. We were having afang soup for dinner, my favorite.