CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Indulgence is a sin, yet the allure of riches is a drug no one can fully resist. Luxury, power, the sweetness of cakes – it all holds a force so strong, it feels almost seductive. The silken touch of wealth, the intoxicating taste of opulence, can ensnare even the most disciplined souls. 

The grand opera house of Chusuk was only a short journey from the palace. Our means of transportation was carriages, ancient by the standards of the wider galaxy, though still traditional on Chusuk. They were small, seating only two to four people, each with a unique design. Upon her request, Countess Corliss and I shared a carriage. It was white with gold trimmings, and the cushioned seats inside were upholstered in fine velvet. Two windows allowed light to filter in, making the tightness of the inside feel less claustrophobic. As we left the light gardens and entered the dense forest, a building made of dark wood emerged among the tall trees.

"What is that?" I asked the Countess, my eyes fixed on the ominous structure.

"That is the House of Worship." Corliss replied. She was seated opposite me, her eyes looking swiftly over at the dark edifice. Her jewellery clinked softly as the carriage passed over some uneven ground, her large earrings swinging like tiny pendulums.

"I did not know Chusuk was a place of religion." I said, intrigued.

"Of course it is. The palace's relationship with the priests is the only thing keeping the smallfolk from attacking us. They are a deeply religious people." She explained, her voice smooth and mature. The wagon shook again, but Corliss's expressions remained composed. She revealed little emotion, her demeanour controlled and confident.

"That is a great advantage. Whatever you are doing to stay in favour with the religious leaders, you ought to keep doing it." I advised. I did not want her to think of me as a child, a girl with no experience. Unlike with other high-standing figures, I felt I could show Corliss my wisdom and insight. I did not have to play the role of a pious, obedient girl – a lamb in the jaws of a wolf. If we formed a bond of trust, she might be more inclined to follow my counsel.

Corliss's eyes narrowed at my words, scrutinizing me as if to peer into my very soul. "There is more to you than what meets the eye. I see a greatness in you, Abigail." She said, her voice lowering. Her words instilled a sort of unease in me, I sensed deceit lurking beneath the surface. Was she being sincere, or did she simply recognize my ambition as a vulnerability to exploit? Did she have motives I had not been able to see, or was paranoia staring to make my vision blurred? My heartbeat quickened as nausea started rising in my throat. A sign of pregnancy? Or just one of anxiousness? I placed my hand low on my belly, seeking to synchronize my rapid pulse with the calm heartbeat of the foetus within.

"How are you dealing with the pregnancy?" Corliss asked, an innocent smile on her lips. Her keen eye, so penetrating, was staring to annoy me.

"I have no aches or pains," I told her. Despite feeling some uncertainty about our position, I did in many ways view her as a motherly figure. "Though I must admit, my mind has not been completely sound." There was something about her presence, her sweet smell, that made me inclined to speak truthfully.

"In what way, my dear?" She asked, lines of concern forming on her brow.

"I find myself in a compromised situation," I admitted hesitantly. "With my wedded husband."

"I see. Is he treating you poorly?" She asked, her voice gentle.

"He is a cold man, but that is not where the problem lies," I replied. "I do not know if it is the babe's fault, but I find that I cannot escape his allure. I feel as if he lives in my head, my every decision tainted by his presence." The words spilled out, unbidden.