- 18 -

I let out a gasp as he picked me up and threw me over his shoulders, completely taken by surprise

I let out a gasp as he picked me up and threw me over his shoulders, completely taken by surprise. I start struggling, squirming and kicking, but it's useless. He's much stronger than me.

I kick and yell in his arms, attempting to wriggle free, but it's like fighting a fucking wall. He's built like a machine, and before I know it, I'm being carried like a sack over his broad shoulders.

"I said put me down, you brute!" I protest, banging my fists on his back. "You can't just pick me up and carry me around like I'm some sort of object."

Val doesn't respond, simply walking over to one of the empty lecture halls. He swings the door open and shoves me down on the desk at the front of the room. I landed with a thud, the wind knocked me out of me.

I lie there for a moment, stunned, trying to catch my breath. My chest heaving, I try to prop myself up on my elbows, but his hand pressing down on my chest forces me back down onto the desk.

He leans down, his face mere inches from my own. I can feel his breath, hot against my skin, and it makes my blood run cold. The look in his eyes is predatory, possessive.

"You just can't help yourself, can you?" He says, his voice low and dangerous. "You just had to push my buttons, didn't you? Now look at you, all vulnerable and defenceless. How does it feel, to be at my mercy?"

I glare up at him, my heart still racing in my chest. I can't help the flush of heat that spreads across my cheeks.

"You think you have me at your mercy?" I meet his gaze head-on. "You may have me pinned down, but that doesn't mean I'm defenceless. I'll never stop resisting you."

Val laughs, "Keep resisting. It all fuels that burning ache inside me to completely wreck you to nothing."

"You may have touched me but you'll never be able to capture my attention or heart."

"And why is that, baby girl?"

"Because I said so."

My words hang in the air, a part of me meant what I said. I just hoped my body wouldn't betray me like always. He didn't deserve me, he didn't deserve all of this. Val doesn't have the right to just crash into my life and flip my world upside down like it's his birthright.

Things don't work that way. I won't allow them to. I will fight.

"Beware your words, Zara. I'm gonna make you swallow them up."

Without warning, he rips open the button of the shirt — which goes flying in every direction. "By hook or by crook, I will get you. Val Lawrence gets what he wants. Always."

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" I yell at him, trying to get off the desk again only to be roughly pushed back.

A sharp cry escapes me when he harshly slaps one of my hardened swollen buds. "You wanna know who I am, baby girl?" Val whispers, deadly calm.