CH. 14 Zyra and Roseanne

Zyra POV

Ryujin, Kenji (Rosie's dad), and a couple other members of the pack were on my tail as we came to a clearing where the enemy was camping. They let their fire out some time ago but you can still see the smoke seeping from the logs. We laid down wind to prevent being caught, and I signaled a scout wolf to go warm my father. We stayed in our position until back up arrived. As we waited, my thoughts went back to Rosie again.

"You know I can hear you right?"  Her father asked me as he was draped over a log in exhaustion.

"I'm sorry."

"When did it happen?"

"Couple weeks ago. That night we were at the house for her birthday."

He nodded and didn't say anything more.

I couldn't tell if it was a thank you, a praise, or even a 'you have my blessing', kind of nod. But I nodded back and put my focus back on the enemy. I tried to focus on the people sleeping and some looking around clearly making sure they were safe. Most of the smoke finally cleared and I was able to smell a little better. Something didn't smell right.

When my father was within range of our mind link, he signaled for the attack. The whole pack lunged, biting anyone they could catch. Some of the werewolves didn't even have time to shift, others didn't at all. Ryujin and I stayed together like we always do. We fight better, together and we know how each other moves. Our pack had the upper hand until I heard a click and a bang. My eyes looked around and landed on someone holding a gun and one of our wolves fell.

"HUMANS!" I heard my father howl.

We tried our best to avoid the gunshots to close the gap to get to the humans before they shot more of us down.

I never fought in a battlefield with humans before, and surely never trained around guns. I tried my best to avoid them knowing my father will not allow me to try to rush at them. But I lost Ryujin and I started to panic.

Ryujin got tackled by a wolf almost double her size, knocking her down. I ran to help her and saw another human aiming a gun at her. I raced as fast as I could to push her out of the way. My father was right behind me to take out the large wolf and I dove for Ryujin.

I heard the bang of a gun.

I hit the floor with a whine.

Then everything went black.

Roseanne POV

"ZYRA!" I screamed sitting up from my sleep. I was panting and sweating. My heart felt like it was going to explode inside my chest.

"Fuck! That was the worst." I said to myself and dropped my face in my hands before sliding out of bed.

I made it to the kitchen to get some cold water. When I yanked the refrigerator door open with my right arm, I hissed with pain. Lifting up the sleeve of my sleep shirt, I didn't see anything there, but it hurt so much.

"Maybe I was sleeping wrong." I tried brushing it off and finished getting my drink and hurrying off to bed.

When I came to the staircase, my mom met me at the bottom of the stairs.

"Hi honey, I heard you scream. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just had a nightmare. Are you going to work?" I looked her up and down and saw she was in her scrubs and had her work bag.

"Yeah, there is an emergency, and they need me." she grabbed my head and kissed it. "Go back to sleep honey. I'll be home when I can."

"Okay mommy, love you."