sixteen

"you can follow me down,don't be scared what you may find,some say i'm different now,i think i've lost my mind"- Dirty Hands (Gone Mad), Kendra Dantes

don't be scared what you may find,
some say i'm different now,
i think i've lost my mind"
- Dirty Hands (Gone Mad), Kendra Dantes

"Damn it." Frank exclaims.

"Want me to go slower?" I ask, mockingly.

"Shut up. Just deal the cards."

I wear a smirk as I show him the two jacks and the queen in my hands, before throwing them onto the kitchen counter and shuffling their places back and forth.

"So, what do you intend to do about our situation?" I ask Frank, while he follows what he thinks is the jack.

"What is our situation?" he asks.

"My point exactly." I comment.

I stop shuffling and push the three cards closer to him. Frank points to the card in the middle and I flip it to reveal a jack, for the fourth time in a row.

"Are you kidding me?"

"You're not seeing it." I tease.

"What do you mean I'm not seeing it? You're cheating." he says and I laugh.

"Everyone knows Three Card Monty is a scam." I tell him. "You hardly ever see women playing this. Only men. The frustration keeps them playing. They want to win. Or they need the money. Every marker has his reason."

"Yeah, what's mine?" he asks, looking amused.

I lean forward on the bench top, towards Frank. "You think you can beat anyone, no matter how stacked the deck." I say, no longer talking about cards. "And you're bored. And you drink way too much coffee."

Frank snickers. "What's the alternative?"

"Be smart. Don't play." I tell him, looking him dead in the eyes.

"That's not an option." he counters casually.

I give him a disapproving look and deal the cards again. And once again, Frank picks a jack.