twenty-five

"finger on the trigger,i see time is running out

i see time is running out."
- Trigger, Mississippi Twilight

I race through the city streets, tracking Curtis's car.

I manage to stay close, the red lights proving helpful. It's only when he starts catching more green lights that I fall behind. But I stay on track.

I wish Frank would stop leaving me behind and just let me help. I'm going to help, whether he wants me to or not, so just letting me come along would definitely make things easier.

Being cooped up in the small trailer all week though, the exercise is very welcome. The panic however, is not.

I make it to the warehouse on 12th Jake mentioned, but it's empty and Curtis's car is nowhere to be seen. But the trail is fresh.

I let out a huff and then take off again, ending up back out on the streets.

I finally come upon Curtis's idling car, and give him the fright of his life when I slam my hands against his window.

"The hell are you doin' here?" he yells as he rolls his window down.

"What do you think?" I pant heavily, leaning on my knees as I catch my breath.

"RUSSO!" Frank's voice booms from around the corner. I snap my head in the direction, standing up straight.

"Get out of here, Jake, right now!" someone yells back in the distance. I can only assume it's Billy. Unfortunately for him, it's not Jake he's talking to.

"RUSSO!" Frank repeats, firmer than the first. Even Curtis hears this one.

I make a dash for the corner.

"Jena!" Curtis yells after me, wasting his breath.

I make it around the corner as the shooting begins.

While I dodge innocent bystanders trying to flee the street, I spot Frank ducking for cover behind a crashed car. Jake's army jacket and devil mask are gone, his bulletproof vest with it's bloodstained white skull now in full view.

Further down the street, men in masks pile into a black SUV, while providing cover fire for each other. Beside the SUV, standing in the middle of the street, is a man.

So this is the infamous Billy.

He doesn't look like no big bad. He looks frozen with fear.

From what I've been told, Frank did almost kill him, beating him so bad that he lost some of his memory. Looks like Billy's putting the pieces together now.

A car pulls up beside me, the driver wearing a horrible mask of an ugly crying baby face. Completely oblivious to my presence, he draws a gun and starts to lean out of the window to take aim at Frank's back.