one

"you wanna disappear in a crowd, just a stranger in a room

just a stranger in a room.
wanna change your colours
just for the night."
- Stranger In A Room, Jamie xx

The folky acoustics swelling from the local bar tickle my ears, piquing my interest as I wander down the road of the small town of Michigan.

The volume increases as my feet bring me closer to Lola's Roadhouse.

It's been a while since I've heard music..

Curiosity has me leaving the roadside and heading to the bar. And walking into this place is an assault on all my senses.

People everywhere, chatting, dancing, drinking. The chatter from all the occupants is loud, competing with the music, while the air is thick with alcohol, sweat and cologne.

The corners of my mouth threaten a smile.

All these people here for a good night after a days work, the low lights of the bar, the coloured lights around the band.. The mood and atmosphere of this vicinity is infectious.

I take it all in.

I begin to make my way through the vicinity, heading for the bar, my nose still trying to adjust to the bountiful aroma. But I embrace it. This is what freedom smells like.

I keep my head down, avoiding potential eye contact with all the patrons, before finally reaching the bar. Patiently, I await my turn, while the woman behind the bar tends to another customer, while my nose is flooded with the scent of the man beside me, on my right.

I try to ignore it, but it's hard when it's filling my nostrils. With hints of musk and metal, and something that's just pure him, it's mouthwatering.. It takes all my strength not to look in his direction. I've never smelt anyone so appealing. I-

"What can I get you?" the woman finally asks me, pulling my brain out of its sensory mush, and my eyes snap to hers.

"A beer, please." I answer and she snickers softly.