eighteen

"oh, i'm just a girl, my apologies,what i've become is so burdensome

my apologies,
what i've become
is so burdensome."
- Just A Girl, Florence + the Machine

"Goddamn it." Frank growls. "What the hell are you doin' here?"

I come to a stop beside him, having now reached our destination. "You really think I'm going to let you confront this on your own?" I ask.

"You couldn't just do as you're told, huh?" he retorts.

"No. I've heard it's one of my less favourable qualities." I remark. "Just ask Stryker."

Frank scoffs and looks away from me to survey the area.

Before us stands an abandoned, broken down warehouse. Definitely a good cover for storing shady shit, however I'm sensing that this place really is abandoned.

"You follow me?" Frank asks, his tone more curious than angry now.

"Uh-huh." I answer offhandedly, focusing all my senses on my surroundings.

"I can usually tell when I'm being followed." he comments and I turn to him.

"I kept my distance. And followed your scent whenever I lost sight of you."

"You what?"

I purse my lips and shrug lightly. "Just something else I can do. Is that too honest for you?" I quip with a tilt of my head.

"Jesus Christ.." Frank shakes his head and draws his handgun.

I follow him as he heads towards the building.

"Anything else?" he asks.

"What, the super fast healing abilities, indestructible skeleton and animal keen senses aren't enough for you?" I remark.

I open the door and go to step inside, but Frank pulls me back with a scoff, before heading in first, gun aimed and ready.

On the outside, I roll my eyes at him. But on the inside, I'm tickled by the protective gesture.

Shelving, pallets and broken down equipment, tools and boxes, all lay scattered about. Layers upon layers of dust coating everything.

No one has been here for a long time.

When he's satisfied we're alone, Frank lowers his gun and turns back to me.

"You don't breathe fire or fly?" he asks, continuing our conversation, making me snicker.

"You're hilarious, Castle." I reply. "I can prove it to you now, by the way. The serum's out of my system. But right now, we need to leave. Because this.." I gesture to the space around us. "..this is a trap. There's no stash, no weapons like your sketchy source said. We have to go. Now."