4: Painted Palace Caper

We arrived at the Painted Palace in style, if stylish meant a rented carriage, at night time. Oscar and the salesman had a big argument in front of us, but from a safe distance. Thank god, because the one who owned the carriage eyes widened after Oscar whispered something in his ear. I couldn't see Oscar's expression because he was facing the salesman. But I saw that the conversation they were having was tense. The owner gruffly let us use the carriage after that. I didn't know what it was about, but I didn't ask. They didn't ask me any questions about my life, so I returned the favor.

I sat next to Oscar as we both felt the rickety road as we sat in the carriage. I wore the red knee length lace dress Oscar got for me, Sonya wore a bright orange gown that dripped down to her ankles, and the boys wore dark suits. Jax wore red, Oscar wore black, and Grayson wore dark green. We all looked vividly different with our new wardrobe, so different that I forgot we were all commonfolk. We might just pass as low ranking nobles, I thought to myself.

Once the carriage came to a stop, I had no difficulty being the first one out. But Sonya, who was the last one, needed help from Oscar to exit the carriage. Her dress was a bit long, and it seemed too constricting for Sonya's legs. Well, not my problem. When I turned to face the front, I took note of the stone flooring and golden gate in front of me. Two guards stood at opposite ends of the golden gate, and they seemed to notice me as well.

When we walked to the guards they spoke with a stern voice, "Invitation?" The guard on the right side asked us. I elbowed Sonya nervously, she gave me another scowl. Sonya handed the invitation to the guard while keeping a straight face. I was surprised because Sonya didn't even seem nervous at all. It seemed like this crew had infiltrated several festivals and could do this in their sleep. Why did they need my help? Why did I need to be here?

"Where are you from?" The guard on the right asked us in what sounded like a forced dignified voice. The guard didn't seem happy to be here at all. He probably woke up on the wrong side of bed for his night shift.

"We're just simple nobles from the land of Burnice" Sonya held her head up high. Burnice was a land of desert and ice, its inhabitants either controlled ice or fire. It seemed like it was an interesting place. One half was dessert, and the other half had icy mountains. And the people there seemed interesting. I hoped to meet one Burnician, at least for one day.

"Is that so?" The guard in the right grumbled bitterly as he looked over the piece of paper Sonya gave him.

I tried my best to look nonchalant and calm like Sonya, by looking directly at the guard. As he analyzed our invitations he kept on looking up at me, I tried to see through the golden piece of silk fabric but I could only see dark brown eyes. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but the guard seemed extremely short for his age. He seemed only one inch taller than Sonya.

The guard on the left spoke for the first time, "Forgive my partner, he clearly forgot to drink his coffee" It was hard to see through that translucent veil but the guard was smiling. The guard on the left seemed older and more easy going than the one on the right, I observed.

When Sonya assumed he was done checking, Sonya started walking towards the castle's golden gates. I kept on nervously glancing back and forth between the guard and Sonya. I was starting to sweat. Sonya put her hand on the handle, but suddenly, she got interrupted.

"I'll stop you right there" The guard on the right said, "Don't move. Your invitations say that you are nobles from Litus, not Burnice." I smacked my forehead. How stupid. Stupid of me not to check, and stupid of Sonya. Couldn't she have read the invitation before talking?

"Well..." the guard turned his head to face me, I tried to think of an excuse, "Maybe you should try learning how to read? I suggest taking classes?"

"Raise your hands..." The guard lifted his spear as he ignored me, while Grayson tried not to laugh at my nervous excuse.