Joy in the Journey

Once Narad Muni asked Lord Krishna “who is your biggest devotee? Isn’t it me as I take your name so many times in a day “Narayan Narayan Narayan”! Lord Krishna told Narad that a farmer is His biggest devotee. Narad went to observe the farmer the whole day and saw him work very hard under the sun, ploughing the land and doing his best every moment of the day. He came back and told Lord Krishna that the farmer remembered God and chanted His name only thrice in the day whereas Narad chanted God’s name several times a day and asked God – “ so how can a farmer be a greater devotee of yours than me”. To explain the difference between the farmer and Narad, Lord Krishna told Narad to bring Him water to drink from the lake on top of a hill but make sure while getting the water not a single drop gets spilled. Narad managed to get water without spilling it. Lord Krishna asked him “how many times you chanted my name while getting the water” and Narad said “Lord I couldn’t chant your name as my entire attention was in making sure not a single drop of water spills. But doing work for my Lord with so much focus and devotion gave me lot of joy even though I couldn’t remember chanting your name.” Narad understood what Lord was trying to explain him and fell at His feet saying “Narayan Narayan”. Lord elaborated to Narad that any work done with so much devotion, focus, concentration and joy as if it is being done as a devotee’s service for God is a form of worship.