28

We meet in the designated location, off the highway, at the designated time, 1am, for the next challenge. Heather is nowhere to be seen so Natalie calls her frantically. There is no response. We are forced to continue without her. They give us blindfolds and I pick a random one. We are told to put them on so we do. We are lined up and can only hear the instructions. We are told to step forward by Diggins' command so we do. The sound of a car pulls up and we are shoved in. I am not sure who is around me or where we are going but we do as we're told.

Heather, Nat, and I sit on my living room couch, and we talk about last night.

"I tried calling you a million times," Nat directs at Heather.

"Yeah, I know I know. Um... Lily needed me. My mom and Bo were fighting," Heather sighs heavily.

"Heather," she reiterates.

"Yeah, I know... I know Im out of the game," Heather defends. "What happened last night?"

"The challenge was different this year," I start.

We were blindfolded and pushed into a van. We ended up at an old train bridge. Left out on the bridge to find our way back, one by one. We could get help but for a price. 10 steps in the direction of safety for secrets. But not ours. We were pitted against each other.

"I was so scared I could barely stand straight," Nat tried to laugh.

"But you made it right?" Heather looks at us. We look at each other. Natalie shakes her head silently.

They asked me about Dodge. Any fears he had.

"I don't know!" I reiterate.

"Time is ticking," Diggins says.

"Okay okay. Dodge has a sister. Hes protective of her. He says she was paralyzed in Hurricane Harvey but..."

"But...?"

"God Diggins you know you fucking suck right now?"

"Sorry Delilah," he responds. I take my chance and keep walking towards him. "Are you sure about this?" he asks.

"Pretty sure," I say with false confidence. I walk past him and hear his voice behind me now. I suddenly hear water rushing under me. "Diggins... what the fuck?"

"Let me help you... please," he says almost pleading.

"There are trophies. And videos. Of her competing in the rodeos. Dated after the hurricane. Clearly he doesn't want anyone to know."

"I'm scared. I was the only one who knew about Dayna," I admit. "What if he finds out?"

"No no don't worry," Heather reassures me. "What happens at a challenge stays at a challenge right?" I simply nod and let myself believe this. "Did they ask you anything Nat?"

"Nothing important," she reveals. "Ray was the first one back."

"How do you think he did that?" I wonder.

"Well if he answered all 5 questions..."

"Oh my God. Oh my God, what if he said something?" Heather begins to panic. "Bishop can't find out I hooked up with Ray. They wouldn't care about me though right? Like— like the judges wouldn't ask about me if i'm out of the game right?" Nat stays silent.

"I don't know," I follow her thoughts.

"I have to go talk to Ray," Heather declares.

"It's okay," I try to calm her.

"It's just not fair," Natalie adds.

"You should be in the final four, not Shawna," I sigh.

"Maybe you can ask the judges for an exception," Natalie suggests. "You still have your immunity," she reminds us.

"Yeah, but you have to use it before the challenge starts," Heather scoffs.

"Just talk to Diggins! We've all come this far. You, me, and Lilah. We can win this together."

I walk up to Dodges door and wait for him to get back. This summer, Heather has been working for a lady named Anne. She has her cleaning stables and keeping the house. Where there are stables, there are horses. Where there are horses, there's Dodge. Speak of the devil. Dodge walks up the steps and meets me outside the door. "Hey," he smiles.

"Hey," I try to smile back.

"Word uh... travels fast huh? Heather tell you I was over at Anne's place or you just miss me?" he asks slyly.

"Yeah... and she uh... also told me that Dayna was actually paralyzed in a hit and run," I whisper. Dodge goes silent. "Why did you... why did you lie about that?" I ask.

"It's not my story to tell," he says looking down.

"Well, Heather also said... the driver— he won the derby a while back?" I raise my brows. "It was Luke Hall wasn't it?"

"You can't tell anyone about that, okay?"

"He should be in prison," I try to reason.

"Yeah and Cortez has been trying to bring charges against him to the D.A. for some time," he talks over me.

"So he knows?"

"Yes. Yes he's the one who told us it was Luke— Look... can we talk about this inside?" he asks suddenly quieter. I nod my head and we go inside and into his room.