22

He's not coming back

After he walks away, a beat passes before I follow after. I don't know what I've done, but it's done. His energy has changed and maybe my feelings have too. It's like he's a different person I refused to see. I catch up to him as he looks for clues. "Dodge, aren't you gonna say something?" He shines the light around without hesitation. "Fine." I see Nat coming down the stairs and I look around to see Ray swiftly pass through another hall. Heather follows after and stops right in the doorway for us to see. Nat and I look at each other before she goes after her and I follow. She grabs her arm and pulls her aside.

"What the fuck are are you doing? Do you need me to call someone? A psychiatrist? The cops? I don't know a fucking assassin so I don't have to shoot you myself?"

"Wow I love how you always know how to make me feel so much better," Heather rolls her eyes.

"Are you seriously hooking up with Ray Hall?"

"Can we just talk about this later?" I cut in.

"No! Absolutely not, we are talking about this right now," Nat demands. She grabs our hands and takes us to the kitchen. She spots the small room Dodge and I were just in and she drags us in, shutting the door behind us. "What were you thinking?"

"Okay look it was a mistake," Heather starts.

"What do you mean a mistake? You accidentally fell on his dick?" I joke.

"Made a wrong turn onto his face?" Nat adds.

"Okay I know! I know okay? I just lost my mind for a couple of days," Heather scoffs. "I guess it just felt good to have a distraction."

"Yeah well a distraction was exactly the point," Natalie sasses.

"What do you mean?"

"Hello? You're in the lead!" Nat reminds us.

"Fuck... You don't- You don't think that..." Heather stammers.

"I don't know that seems a little far fetched. I know Ray is a dick but I don't think he would go that far beyond a few middle school pranks," I think out loud.

"Of course he would," Nat intervenes.

"God, I feel so stupid," Heather sighs. "And I actually thought he might like me." She says disappointedly. I go to comfort Heather and as my hand reaches her shoulder we hear the door click. Nat goes to open it and it will not budge.

"Someone locked us in," she announces.

"It's okay, Dodge will be back soon," Heather worries. They both look at me and all I can do is nod to ease their minds. He's not coming back. We begin to panic a little and look around the room just in case we need to figure out a different way. A few minutes pass and we suddenly hear people running and screaming.

"FIRE! FIRE! EVERYBODY OUT!" Ray Hall yells. We all look at each other and simultaneously start slamming on the door yelling to get noticed. No one hears.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" I yell. "Nat! We will give you a boost try to open this window above the door!" We are all panicked lifting each of Nat's shoes so she can reach the window. She is banging and banging and Heather can't help but yell.

"Nat! Open it! Harder! Harder! C'mon!" Nat is able to push it out resulting in a shatter when it hits the ground and we push her over and hear her body thud on the other side. "Are you okay?" we both yell to her.

"Yeah!" She yells back as she gets up to open the door. We hear it rattle and there's banging. We look at each other and try to push on our side. The smoke starts to fill the room and we begin coughing.

"Get us out!" I yell.

"I mean- It's fucking padlocked!" She yells back.

"Oh my God," I say in my frustration. "Okay Heather I'm gonna boost you up." She gets on my hands and I can't resist the coughing as I feel the smoke in my nose and mouth. As she tries to reach the window a shard of glass cuts her hand and she falls to the ground still inside.

"Fuck!" she cries out in pain.

"Are you guys okay?" Nat yells in.

"She cut her hand," I cough out. I try to cover my mouth with my arm but it's no use.

"Can you try to climb?"

"I'll try!"

"Be careful!" Heather looks at me. I start to climb the shelves that are by the door and they all break, gravity pushing me to the ground. I can't feel any air in my lungs. I hit the ground hard, get up, and jump to reach the top of the frame. I make it and barely pull myself up using all my strength, but as soon as I get there the whole thing falls over with me under it. "Lilah!" Heather yells. I hear Nat's voice but I can't make it out. Heather is with me on the ground but I'm losing sight.

"Help!" I yell out weakly. The weight starts to get unbearable and my back stings. My ears start ringing and my eyes start to close. "Help," I cry with one last breath before the smoke wins.