Chapter One-Come One, Come All to This Tragic Affair

"Yeah, whatever." I growl, shutting my door as my mother wobbles back down the hall. I hear her shout "And don't forget to scrub the tiles in the kitchen, you rat!" and sigh, running my fingers through my hair. So much for laying low; somehow I'd gotten on my (drunk, might I add) mother's last nerve just by staying in my room.

I walk down the hall, and hear her slam the front door. Well, might as well get it done while she's gone, and maybe I can sneak an apple or something.

I mop the hardwood and scrub the tiles, my knees aching by the time I'm finished. I hear my father's car in the driveway, and roll my eyes. Just great, all this work and I didn't even get anything to eat.

"The floor's wet." I say as he walks towards me, and he says "Don't talk to me with that attitude."

"What attitude?" I ask, genuinely confused. "I just didn't want you to fall." Okay, that was a lie. I really, really wanted him to fall.

"Suuure." he grumbles, and walks into the living room to watch Fox News or something equally stupid.

I roll my eyes and walk back upstairs, having emptied out the mopbucket. I put it away, and slip into my room, quietly shutting the door behind me.

I check my little box of savings, and smile. I finally have enough for the new Fall Out Boy album I want.

I put Folie á Deux into my small boom box, and after a few seconds Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes starts up.

I'm coming apart at the seams

Pitching myself leads in other people's dreams

Now buzz, buzz, buzz

Doc, there's a hole where something was

I look out my window, and smile. Looks like I'm sneaking out. I shove it open, and stand on the sill. I jump onto the huge tree branch right by it, and climb down the tree branch by branch.

I run out of the yard, and down the street to the record store. I spot the album, American Beauty/American Psycho, and grab it. I quickly pay, but when I get back to my room, I find my boom box smashed, and the words "I know" written on the fragments of Folie á Deux, which are lined up.

"Shit." I mutter, and quickly hide my new CD. I spent too long saving up for it for them to just destroy it.

My door opens, and I act like I'm cleaning up the boom box. I throw the fragments of the CD in the trash like it's no big deal, as well as the boom box.

"So, you decided to sneak out, huh?" my father says. I can feel his breath on the back of my neck, and I cringe.

"Maybe." I say. Yeah, real smart, Coraline. 'Maybe' is never taken as sarcasm.

"Why do you even care about them? They're stupid, talentless fags who whine about lost love or whatever. I find it quite stupid that you even waste your time listening to this garbage. I knew you had no brain cells. Turns out I was right."

"I've got more brain cells than you," I mutter.

"Listen here, you little bitch." he growls, and I spin around, socking him in the face.

"I'm almost eighteen, you piece of crap." I say. "When are you going to realize that you can't control me? Beat me, insult me, doesn't matter. I'll take it no problem. But the second you mess with my heroes, you open up a can of hurt. You're just the card I can see up the magician's sleeve. It's like you were born a drunken, washed up, crackhead reality-star wannabe. Good-fucking-bye." I stuff some clothes in my booksack, and since he's out cold, I take all the money from his wallet, which is almost five hundred dollars. It's enough. I pause for a second, and grab my new CD. What? I saved for five months to get this thing. I'm not leaving it.

I grab some protein bars, apples, and bottled waters from the kitchen, and run out. There's no telling where my mother is; she's probably at a bar, getting drunk out of her mind.

I run down the street, and slow to a walk as I near the edge of town.

I'm finally free.

Next stop: Chicago.

//Note//

Yes, I did steal the "Beat me, insult me" part from Patrick, I just modified it a bit. It was too good of an insult not to use XD