Chapter Fourteen: Life is a Beach

I wake up the next morning to my alarm, in my clothes from yesterday. Damn... I passed out early. I jump up as I quickly shower and then I quickly dry off and get dressed in grey skinny jeans and a BVB band tee. I run downstairs as I pull out my phone. I hesitate as I look at my contacts.

Without the confidence to message Alex... I message Bailey.

Cameron - Hey! Can you give me a ride?

I press send as I sigh at my inability to do anything right. I think about how I was cold towards Alex. I need to talk to him... my phone buzzes as I check it.

Bailey - Of course! Otw!

I smile as I put my phone away. My hair is still dripping wet due to me not being able to blow dry it. I run downstairs as I see my parents in the kitchen doing their normal routine.
"Good morning buddy." My dad says as he sips his coffee.
"Morning dad, morning Cas." I say as I grab a muffin that's sitting on the table. I begin to eat it as I hear Bailey pull into the driveway.
"I'll see you guys later! Love you!" I say as I run out the door.

They wave me off as I run up to Bailey's car. I get in as she smiles at me and begins to pull out and drive away toward the school.
"How are you Cameron? You look... wet." She giggles as water drops from a strand of my hair onto my lap.
"Yeah... I um... I'm good..." I say trailing off.
"You're funny." She says as she smirks at me.
"Thanks... how are you?" I ask as my face reddens.
"I'm good. Thanks for asking." She smiles as she turns the radio on and begins to sing along to the song.

She's definitely changed a lot since we were kids... she's pleasant to be around. She's definitely been super helpful and kind to me this past week... I appreciate her. We pull into the school parking lot as I begin to look for Alex's car. With no luck I begin to walk to home room. I sit in my seat as I watch the door to wait for him to walk in.

The bell rings as he never walks in... deja vu moment. I sigh as I begin to ponder if he's even going to show up today at all. I look down at my desk as the teacher calls names for attendance. Once it gets to Alex I wince as the teacher marks him absent. I really wish he was here today...

The bell rings as I gather my things and begin to walk towards my first class. As I'm walking through the hallway I feel someone tap on my shoulder from behind me. I turn around hoping for it to be Alex. Raven. Of course.
"Cameron, how are you?" Raven asks as she smiles at me sweetly.
"I'm fine." I say as I turn back around and begin to walk to class again. I hear her follow behind me as I roll my eyes. What's her problem?
In anger I turn to face her.
"Raven, stop following me. I no longer even offer you friendship. Just leave me alone." I say as I see her smile fade as tears begin to fall from her face.

I turn away from her as I leave her standing there. At least she's not following me anymore. I make it to class as I sit down in my seat. The bell rings as I'm now convinced Alex is definitely not showing up... I look down at my desk as Mr. Edison begins to talk, then shortly after he plays a movie.

This week we'll probably have it easy, because after break we'll get ready to start studying for exams and stuff... but the week after spring break I'll be out of school, for aunt Claire's wedding. The rest of the school day flies by as I think about Alex's and I's last interaction... me ditching how he felt once again...

Bailey brings me home as I walk into my house, my parents aren't there. I read a note that reads, 'Don't wait up, there's dinner in the microwave, your father and I went out on a date love you!' I smile as I plop down on the couch and begin to think about what Bailey said about freedom. Sounds nice...