Chapter Nine: Family Picnic

We arrive at the park as cars and people are gathered for an annual picnic that's today. I kept my headphones on the entire ride to avoid Alex... now that we're here it's going to be harder to do that. Right as we park my dad calls Brad, Alex's dad.
"Hey! What's up man! Long time! Yeah!... We'll meet you at the gates then." He hangs up as we all get out and walk towards the entrance to the park.

They chit chat as my thoughts trail off once more. I wonder why Alex even spends so much time with me? He has to have a motive... he must want a good grade or something. We near the gate as I notice Alex's dad, a skinnier small lady, she looks super young, and a girl about the same size beside her. They all wave us down as I look over at Alex who seems to have a sour look on his face.

I wonder why he looks upset?
"Brad!" My dad yells as he bear hugs Alex's dad.
"Gary my man!" He hugs him back with the same enthusiasm.
"Bailey? Is that you?" My dad says as he looks at the girl that looks almost identical to Alex, accept she's in girl form. I remember her from our childhood. That's Alex's sister, Bailey.
"Hey Gary." She says as she smiles and hugs my dad.
"Did you bring a friend?" My dad says enthusiastically.

Awkwardness falls over everyone as Brad answers for Bailey. "This is my wife, Kelly."
Silence falls over us for a moment until my dad breaks the silence.
"Nice to meet you Kelly!" My dad says acceptingly as he shakes her hand, as Cas does the same and they chit chat some more. Alex and I kind of recede behind them as Bailey walks over to us.

"You're not going to personally welcome your favorite big sis home for spring break?" She says to Alex as she punches his arm.
"Who's this? One of your boyfriends?" She asks as she giggles at Alex.
"No." He says as he clenches his jaw.
"That's little Cammie." He says as Bailey once overs me as her mouth gapes.
"No way. Little Cammie grew up." She says as she smirks, then giggles.
"Go away Bailey." Alex growls at her.
"I just got here and you're already being an ass. Typical Ally Pooh." She giggles as she flips her hair at me. That's her nickname for him.

"So Cameron, how's school for you? Any special girls?" She says as she begins to twist her hair with her finger.
"Not anymore." I say as I try to avoid eye contact and look at the ground.
"Too bad for her." She winks at me as she flips her hair again, this time turning around.
"I'll chat with you later Cameron." She says as she walks back over to our parents joining their conversation.

"When did they plan on telling me the queen from hell was going to be residing at our house for two weeks." Alex complains.
"She seems nice." I say as he narrows his eyes at me and clenches his jaw.
"That's the same hell demon that use to bully us when we were little." He says.
"Maybe she changed." I say remembering the words he told me about himself.

His mood shifts as he rolls his eyes and walks away from me without speaking another word. Such an emotional asshole. I scoff as I cross my arms as walk away from the spot we were previously alone at as I walk back to mine and Alex's family.

"Cameron! We were just about to go to the spot we reserved for the picnic, help us carry the cooler?" My dad says as I smile and nod. I pick up the cooler as Bailey walks over to me and picks up the other end.
"So what do you like to do for fun around here?" She asks as my mind becomes blank. I really don't do much...
"I... I watch Netflix, and occasionally go to parks." I say thinking about how Alex and I went to the park. She giggles as she shakes her head.
"There's gotta be something."
"There's a party tonight." I say as her face lights up.
"That's more like it! I'm in." She giggles again.

I mean... I'm sure Alex won't mind. Even if he does I'm sure Tiny wouldn't mind. We get to the spot we reserved as we begin to set up the picnic cover to the table we got in our reservation. Alex is nowhere to be seen. I wonder where he went?