Chapter nineteen

Even a few hours later, after the Supernatural Council finally intervened and sent the reporters scattering, Bailey still felt on edge. She couldn't help it. Nothing would settle her. Not the cream-filled hot chocolate her mum placed in front of her. Not the smug look on her dad's face as his countless hours on the phone finally seemed to pay off.

"That'll keep the vultures away," he said as the last of the news vans sped away from the street. A few curious on-lookers still lingered the street, but they were smart enough to remain on public land for now.

"Not for long, though," Conner pointed out, bringing down her dad's mood instantly. Conner was right, even though no one wanted to believe it. The reporters would be back sooner or later. Bailey was an anomaly and everyone loved a good freak story.

Bailey silently agreed with her brother. She rested on the couch, watching as the cream from her sugary drink melted down the side.

"Bails. Drink before it melts."

Bailey smiled faintly at her mother and pushed the glass away. She appreciated her mother's attempts but she just couldn't. Not right now. "I'm not hungry." She stood and her parents intently became on edge.

Bailey sighed and signalled for her parents to settle down. Not that it did her any good. "I'm fine," she stressed.

"Are you sure?" Amelia asked, her tone filled with uncertainty and worry. "Do you have any headaches? Dizziness? Edgar said you'd feel a bit fatigue for a while."

Bailey rolled her eyes. "I'm fine," she repeated herself, giving her parents a good glare for measure, just in case someone decided to follow her up the stairs. She just needed some alone time right now.

Even hours after the good doctor had left, she still felt physically drained. So may questions. So many tests. So much to think about. Her head reeled just thinking about it. A few days and she should get her blood results back, at least that was a little promising. She should find out what Pack she was from then. Hopefully.

Back in her bedroom, the first thing Bailey did was double check the window lock and pull the curtains closed. Even still, she couldn't get over the feeling that there was someone, something, outside, watching, waiting. It was an eery feeling that she just couldn't seem to shake.

Somehow, despite the unease she felt, Bailey managed to get a start on her history project. A thousand words on our own species during the Salam Witch Trails.

Bailey didn't know all that much on how werewolves were involved in the Trails, apart from a few wolves being burned at the stake, but with her textbook on hand, she managed to make a rough outline and even started on the first two paragraphs, before she called it quits for the day and switched off her laptop.

Bailey once again eyed her phone on the nightstand. She hadn't touched it all day, it just sat there, on charge, blinking away with unread messages. She hesitated for a long moment, before she slowly made her way to her nightstand.

As expected, her phone had exploded with messages. Emails. Voice recordings. Even a few memes sent to her from classmates.

There was only so many glowing eyed wolf memes she could mentally handle at the moment, so Bailey started deleting them without even looking any more.

A text message from Shay gave her pause. Her thumb hovered over the screen. Should she open it? Shay had always been . . . intriguing, but what would he think about her new status? It was shallow and probably the last thing she should worry about, but she couldn't help it.

Acting on her emotions probably wasn't the wisest thing right now, but Bailey did it regardless. She opened his text massage, but it wasn't a bunch of degrading, phony words many of her other unread messages held.