Chapter four

The house was silent when Bailey got home. Not surprising. Conner usually hanged around school a bit longer or at the video store with friends before he headed home. Her mum would still be at work, the owner of a skin clinic downtown, and judging from the time, her dad would be in the middle of one of his lectures, as the professor of anthropology at the local community college.

Bailey dropped her backpack by the front doors, kicked off her shoes and waddled through to the kitchen. Despite the storm last night, the air felt stale and temped on her skin, the sky was still overcast, but for the day, the rain had held off.

Bailey leaned across the counter and pushed open the windows, breathing in the fresh air that waffled from outside. She had a bit of time before she expected anyone to be home, so she grabbed some diet soda from the fridge – no parents home to stop her now – and she trudged upstairs.

Bailey opened the soda as she pulled off her hoodie and cast it aside on her bed. She went through her dresser and came away with some loose-fitting pants and a breathable tank. Changing quickly, Bailey ran a hand through her now free hair and refashioned her hair into a high ponytail, the tips of her hair tickling her back as she went back downstairs.

Finishing her soda, Bailey threw away the can and walked through the house to the backdoor. Stepping outside, shadows from the nearby forest instantly fell on her. Shivering under the weight, Bailey peeled off her socks and stepped through the grass now barefoot.

Wind lashed against her face, her red hair flying wildly around her, as she stepped further into the woods. She breathed in deeply, moist soil and grass surrounded her. Unable to hold off any longer, Bailey let her restraints free, and magic flooded her system.

Bailey instantly dropped to her knees, her eyes wild as her bones creaked and moved as she shifted. Her nose expanded into a long snout, fangs shooting through her gums, fingers replaced with claws.

Bailey wanted to feel the magic a bit longer and prolonged her manifest. She knew most people wouldn't do this, prolong a manifest. It just increased the risks of pain and becoming stuck between forms, but Bailey wasn't concerned. She never had to be concerned before. Her magic never failed her. Never harmed her.

Her dad would blow a gasket if he knew she did this. But Bailey couldn't help it. She rather liked being between forms. She felt . . . she didn't really know what she felt, but it was just something she looked forward to. Something she missed.

Putting off the manifest long enough, magic completely encased her body as a wolf – her wolf – fully emerged. A beautiful colouring of a mixture of red and brown, blazing green eyes.

Bailey shot off away from her backyard, deeper into the woods. So deep, the sounds of honking cars and cellphones were nothing but a distant memory. Completely surrounded by nature.

Trees. Birds. Water streams.

Bailey galloped through a shallow stream, almost slipping on a wall of rocks as she emerged. Regaining her balance once again, she increased her speed as she continued the journey, aimlessly running through the forest.

An odd smell had Bailey taking a sharp swerve away from the rocky terrain she used to climb with Emily as a child. She knew every inch of this forest, and after a few minutes, she came to a small clearing.

She knew there were a few abandoned ruins that have pretty much crumbled to just a bunch of large stone blocks. Her father hated her going out this way, just a bunch of lowlifes used the ruins, he had always said.

Bailey hesitated as the stone walls came into sight. Her dad was right. There wasn't much left anymore, but a scuffing sound had her cautiously walking towards the remains.